AVIC411.com

Just installed an AVIC-F700BT and a JL 300/4 amp. I get a weird whistle sound that seems to be coming from the deck every time I accelerate. Can't figure out if there's an issue with the deck or the amp. The amp is old and a bit suspect. The low ohm load light is on despite the fact that I'm running 4 ohm comps up front and 4 ohm 6.5 2 ways in the rear. And it's running really hot.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

That sounds like alternator whine. Make sure your head unit is grounded properly to the chassis (rather than the default radio ground, as this usually isn't enough for pioneer units). Also make sure you sanded the paint off the area where you grounded your amplifier. Are you using the amp to power your fronts/rears or subs?

That sounds like alternator whine. Make sure your head unit is grounded properly to the chassis (rather than the default radio ground, as this usually isn't enough for pioneer units). Also make sure you sanded the paint off the area where you grounded your amplifier. Are you using the amp to power your fronts/rears or subs?

Just put a brand new Rockford 4 channel in running to fronts and rears and still getting the alternator whine. Ground is run to the battery. The only thing I can think of is that my RCA's might be running parallel to the power for a few inches, literally. 2010 Evo so the battery is in the trunk.

• 2 months later...

I've cured ground loop issues like this before by running the earth for the headunit back to the amp and grounding them at the same point. I always would have thought that the body would be a good earth wherever in the car, but i guess there can be interference. I don't agree that upgrading the big 3 will help eliminate the alternator whine.

I've always run my rcas down the centre of the car with the power cables on the left side and the speaker cables on the right. I've done this just to avoid any possible interference and it's done the trick for me over the years.

a common problem with pioneers is that they get a bad ground on the signal, either from a blown pico fuse, or a bad solder on the board, the avic may need to be repaired.

to test, try grounding the outer ring connector or the RCA plugs (make sure not to also ground the center pin of the rca)