AVIC411.com

i have an ipod connected via the usb and and AV cables connected right now and all works great able to controll ipod and watch videos, movies from ipod . my question is can the ip bus connector be used and a second AV input source or control my ipod as i do now ? im trying to connected a dvd player and would like to avoid using an AV ab switch . i know audio L/R can be used with the ip bus but what about video or ipod with full controll and video playback

thanks in advance

no there is no support for using a Ip Bus adapter for video input.

pioneer never expected anybody to buy a F700 and try to hook up a DVD player to it, instead that person should have just bought a F900 and had the DVD player built into it thus giving full control for the DVD right from the touch panel. the F700 is for people that do not plan on using DVD's

if you really need to, you could plug it in to the front AV input and have it play through that way but then you have a cable hanging from the front of the unit.

thanks for the input but its a bit flawed as the one input it has can be used for DVD PS2 or any other AV source , the second AV input im trying to get out of the unit is for an overhead monitor with external DVD player .So if your reply is saying ip bus connection does not carry video signal thats all i needed to know .

thanks for the input but its a bit flawed

where is the flaw in my statement? the f700 in an entry level nav system, and as such, it doesn't have as many inputs as some of the units that cost twice as much or more. is it dumb that you have to choose between an Ipod and a external video source? yes, but thats the way it was designed.

pioneer never expected anybody to buy a F700 and try to hook up a DVD player to it

thats more of an opinion than fact as i stated the input it has can be used for various applications . as far as for you other points i agree and understand the f700 is a bottom line head unit . just trying to figure what work around will best suit my application , let it be an A/B switch or use the 3.5 jack in front .

again thanks for input on the ip bus connector as that was the only part i was unsure of .

it being an opinion doesn't make it flawed, the F700bt was never designed to be a media powerhouse and to have a bunch of devices hooked up to it, it is a stripped down version of the F900, which why would they remove the DVD player just to have an external DVD player hooked up to it? i would think if they ever expected people to be hooking up DVD players to them, that they would at least be compatible with at least one of the many pioneer DVD player/changers that could work directly through the Ip Bus, instead this is a feature that they purposely left out(it would only make sense if they wanted you to hook up a DVD player, that they would want it to be one of theirs). the unit was marketed as a major integration hub for all the modern tech like bluetooth and Ipod connectivity (as a retailer, we where given dozens of demo video to really push this as their new direction especially with the voice rec) and while it does have fairly universal connectors that does make it useable with many devices (the standard RCA connectors where removed from later versions and replaced with a much less universal connector), the main reason for using a cable with RCA connectors is to cut cost by using a lower quality D/A converter for internal MP3's (flash, SD, and CD-r) but get the sound delivered from the much higher quality D/A converter inside the Ipod (which is the reason that pioneer didn't just go with a USB cable for the Ipod like they do in most of there lower end systems)

now for the target audience of the customer who has a rear monitor and more elaborate system, this is what they designed the Z series for since it has more inputs and dual zone control, it can definitely handle the situation your trying to throw at it.

the fact that your trying to "figure" out a way to make it do what you want it to, shows that your condition is not what they designed the unit for, there is a large gap between trying to make it all work together somehow, and buying the right unit that fits your needs.

if you really want to make it happen, there was a thread a good while back where a guy got a hold of the tech schematics and soldered wires coming out of the back of the unit instead of plugin a cable into the front.

another thing to consider if you choose to use a AV switch, is that when you want to change which source your going to use on the switch you will also have to go into your menu and change AV1 from "ipod" to "video" and back, because if it is set to "ipod" and you have the AV switch set to an external source such as a DVD player, it will not show the AV source, instead it will show the ipod search screens (unplugging the ipod wont work because it wont be a selectable source)

a switch and a bunch of menu presses just seems like it would get old pretty quick, unless its not really something you plan to ever use much.

You can use your ipod to play movies through the USB and RCA cables.

Switch to video mode with the ipod connected.

In mp4 format, you should be able to get movies much smaller. Convert them with handbrake.

You need .mp4 for ipod anyways.

I've also heard about high speed SD cards being able to play movies well. I think 32GB SDHC works with the unit as well.

I will try with my 8gb SDHC class 4 15mb/s and let you know how movies work.