AVIC411.com

GEX-P920XM produced burnt smell, smoke after install

Hello all,

I’m a first time poster on this forum. Thanks to all who contribute and help to solve the many odds and ends we experience with our units.

Last weekend, my friend and I installed an AVIC-X920BT in my car. Before reassembly, we wanted to test all the components to make sure everything worked, including the GEX-P920XM sat tuner. When I switched the ignition to the "ON" position, the head came to life and instantly we smelled something bad and saw smoke emitting from the kick panel where I had placed the XM tuner. We ripped the panel off only to find the smoke was coming from the 12V power plug on the tuner.

We pulled the power lead from the tuner and smoke continued to pour out of it for another minute or so. I properly connected the power lead to the constant (yellow) lead on the radio's harness as instructed in the manual and also grounded the unit correctly. I was puzzled as to why the in-line fuse on the XM tuner's power lead didn’t go first prior to (apparently) frying the box. I purchased the XM tuner used on eBay so I have no recourse here. The seller did state it was a working unit. Other than it actually being faulty, is there something that I could have done wrong to have this happen?

Thanks in advance!