AVIC411.com

No USB after bypass on X930BT?

I had modified the wire harnesses to do the GPS bypass (mute wire and such) so the installer wouldn't have to worry about liability. (The install was free, so why not let them do the major work, right?). Anyway, it took a while to test everything but when I finally got around to the USB (The unit allows a choice of I-POD or a USB cable)I found that USB memory sticks don't work. I brought it back to the installer at my local Best-Buy, and I did note that after he wiggled the USB cable, a USB memory stick now at least lights up when plugged in. Still won't play music, but at least there's 5 volts. So they pulled a new unit of the shelf and bench tested it, of course with the new cable and everything. It worked fine, USB and all. I was out of time so I have an appointment in two days to have him swap out the entire unit, USB cable and all (Of course I'll let him use my existing power supply and audio cabling, so the bypass stays intact).

Personally I think the wiggle test means it might just be a bad cable. BUT... besides that, since the bypass actually includes forcing something called "factory permissive mode" to ground, I have to wonder if maybe there's more to the story. Does anyone think its possible I that the bypass could be the culprit? Maybe Factory permissive mode is also used to load a firmware upgrade from a USB stick? Anyway, if anyone has done the bypass and has the USB option, I'd really appreciate knowing if both work. No sense going through a whole product replacement just to end up with the same result. Thanks in advance.