AVIC411.com

What I want to know from anyone from Pioneer or someone who picks one of these up is when you open the appradio app on the iPhone, can you just put the iPhone away and launch all supported apps through the interface on the headunit. That would make this so much better than having to fumble with the phone when you want to change an app. Now make it background aware and this will be great.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What I want to know from anyone from Pioneer or someone who picks one of these up is when you open the appradio app on the iPhone, can you just put the iPhone away and launch all supported apps through the interface on the headunit. That would make this so much better than having to fumble with the phone when you want to change an app. Now make it background aware and this will be great.

You may not be able to put the phone away. It appears that Pioneer has given developers the option to decide if they want to display something on the iPhone or not. Check out these screen shots to see what I mean.

This first one displays the iphone with the generic AppRadio screen.

post-2312-0-27986800-1308811273_thumb.jpeg

On this second one the iphone shows navigation directions while the map tracks your progress.

post-2312-0-40181700-1308811288_thumb.jpeg

I saw a demo where they were running motionX and in order to leave the app and go to music they had to hit the button on the iPhone.......it seems like this radio is a good first step but not what I am after.

No rear connection for HDRadio or Satellite radio.....FAIL!!!! AT&T is not fast enough for good streaming and no need to use up the bandwidth...not to mention the stream does not give me the same channels as an actual XM unit.

I saw a demo where they were running motionX and in order to leave the app and go to music they had to hit the button on the iPhone.......it seems like this radio is a good first step but not what I am after.

No rear connection for HDRadio or Satellite radio.....FAIL!!!! AT&T is not fast enough for good streaming and no need to use up the bandwidth...not to mention the stream does not give me the same channels as an actual XM unit.

This unit needs:

1) A dedicated GPS for areas you have no cell service.

2) Input for Satellite radio

3) Optical drive

This would cover all bases. Problem is, with carrier's such as Verizon switching to tiered data plans, who's going to use apps like Pandora anymore when you need to be vigilant with your data use now?

I think people are forgetting who this "appradio" is geared toward. First off you have to have the latest generation ipod touch or an Iphone 4, thats all that is supported. Second, its called appradio. They are expecting app developers to write their apps to support it. IF someone barrows your car, then yes they are either stuck with FM radio or need to borrow your phone or have an ipod touch latest generation or have an iphone 4 of their own. No cd player, xm unit nav unit etc. Its an extention of your apple device, that's it. As the name says "appradio".

I think it is geared towards me. I have never used the optical drive on my F90BT. I prefer the up to date maps on my iPhone more than the head unit. Pandora and FM is all I listen to. My pandora has never pulled more than 1GB of data a month (I'm still on AT&T unlimited). The only thing that world make it perfect for me is if it would mirror the iPhone screen with touch input. I am looking forward to getting mine tomorrow.

This unit needs:

1) A dedicated GPS for areas you have no cell service.

2) Input for Satellite radio

3) Optical drive

This would cover all bases. Problem is, with carrier's such as Verizon switching to tiered data plans, who's going to use apps like Pandora anymore when you need to be vigilant with your data use now?

umm why would you need cell signal for GPS? I'm not sure on MotionX but I would assume TomTom and Navigon will have a version that is compatible....if it is easy to build that is

Optical drive I couldn't care less about....some will require it some won't......

it needed the iDen or whatever Pioneer calls it

umm why would you need cell signal for GPS? I'm not sure on MotionX but I would assume TomTom and Navigon will have a version that is compatible....if it is easy to build that is

Optical drive I couldn't care less about....some will require it some won't......

it needed the iDen or whatever Pioneer calls it

In other words, a "built in GPS mapping app" like the old units currently have. This would be useful to use if you're in an area with no cell signal to supply the GPS apps on your smartphone. Most (not all) of the apps on the smartphone require a constant connection to download mapping info. How about the old school way of having this data preloaded in the unit just for this reason? Otherwise, the Appradio seems like a great idea with the exception that they have isolated themselves into using iOS only. I believe there's talk to use Android down the line with future models however.

The Appradio idea is obviously in its infancy and will take time before it becomes acceptable by most consumers since I feel it's limited to cell service only and iOS products only as well. That will all work itself out in the long run I'm sure.

Non of the dedicated iOS navi apps that I am aware of need a cell signal at all. They all use the GPS receiver. Cell signal with this unit is not necessary in this application. And navi units with built in navi are fixen to be a thing of the past and it should be.

Navigation talk aside....

No, you won't be able to put away the phone.... because like for instance, choosing the Pandora app on the radio's screen: there is NO way to turn it off or close it from the radio, it must be done on the phone (royal pain in the ass)

Just leave the app running and you will be able to select it from the unit.

I'm not sure if that was aimed at my post or someone else's

but if it was indeed about mine:

Say I choose the "Apps" item on the AppRadio's menu, then scroll over to Pandora and open it.... it starts playing and all that...

Now I want to *stop* listening Pandora and instead listen to Rdio or use MotionX.... pressing "Home" gets me back to the menu screen on the AppRadio, but clicking "Apps" again brings me right back into Pandora and it's lack of a way to close it... there is no way to "switch" between apps....

I think people are going to be thinking that the interface and mannerisms of the radio works just like the interface and mannerisms of the iPhone itself: not the case

I'm sure it will easier to run Pandora than my F90BT. I have to pause a iPod track, then launch and control pandora from my phone. All I use my radio for 99% of the time is Pandora and FM radio. I look forward to installing my new radio I got today.