AVIC411.com

Security Bypass and Z1 FAQ and Owners Manuals

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="Foques"]i cut the green wire and just put it in the same bundle of other ground wires...

Is there any curent on the ebrake? i sut don't understand how system is seeing that ebrake is engaged...[/quote]

Well technically to connect the wire to ground it does draw some current depends on the resistors in the Z1 itself but I know it's very very little, but you need some to actually pull the wire and point on in the Z1 to ground. But this is going a little more in-depth into electronics than most people would want to go.

The fact that the light green wire is connected to the same bundle of wires the other grounds is tells the Z1 that the parking brake is on all the time.

Foques, I asked you to reset the box with the recessed button to the right of eject. Then I asked you to look and while motionless check to see if it was bypassed. Look at my site and see some examples or try to play a DVD. While standing still does that work? You should have the parking brake being registered as ON weather it's physically on or off. And everything should work... While not moving. You replied a few posts back "no, its doesn't look like it was bypassed... " This would be a big problem. Are you saying that even while not moving you are locked out of parts of the system and the parking brake is reporting that it's OFF.

If you are saying that the system is not bypassed while motionless and the parking brake is registering as OFF then the other end of that light green wire is not plugged all the way into the connector or some other internal failure of the connector.

You need to get the unit "bypassed" while motionless.

Then once it works while motionless, then by grounding wire #2 on my site will keep it working while in motion. That's when the pop up message about the parking brake comes in, if wire #2 is not grounded properly the bypass will work while not moving but when you start moving it locks you back out again.
i know i know, i'm stupid... but!..

What is the reset recesed button? Near what eject? actual button that makes the screen slide down? It just turns off my screen.
There are no buttons next to actual EJECT button inside.

And if my ebrake is not engaged, but car is still, i can turn on the video or use navi.. once i'm speeding up to 15 mph, features are turning off...
[quote name="Foques"]i know i know, i'm stupid... but!..

What is the reset recesed button? Near what eject? actual button that makes the screen slide down? It just turns off my screen.[/quote]

It's the one on the bottom front panel, the eject button is the one that makes the screen slide down.

It's on the bottom left of the unit between the "eject" and the "V" button above the word TILT.

All that will do is turn off the screen but it will reboot the unit.

[quote name="Foques"]There are no buttons next to actual EJECT button inside.[/quote]

No that's behind the screen. Not there, bottom of the unit with the screen in it's normal position.

[quote name="Foques"]And if my ebrake is not engaged, but car is still, i can turn on the video or use navi.. once i'm speeding up to 15 mph, features are turning off...[/quote]

Ok, that means that you have the parking brake sense wire grounded all the time. GREAT.... that's step 1. That's listed as "wire #1" on my site. When you start moving and that stuff shuts off, that means that you don't have "wire #2" grounded. Either end, most common mistake is the end at the connector 2. [url=http://www.sminntech.com/z1flash.html]http://www.sminntech.com/z1flash.html[/url] scroll to the bottom and look at wire #2, that's your problem, if you ground that properly and the connection in connector 2 is grounded properly once you reset the unit again with the recessed button all will work perfectly.
When I first installed my Z1, I had ordered up the bypass just in case. Glad I did, even though I had the bypass in, and the wiring harness pin grounded out, I was never able to get the unit bypassed while moving. No matter what I did or how many times I read the forum here and the instructions for the bypass nothing work.

Eventually I ground out the Z1 wire that goes to the parking brake and spliced it into the ground on my iPod connector, essentially just a frame ground, and BAM it worked perfectly. Now the unit thinks the parking brake is constantly on even when I am moving.

Don't know if this will help out but that is the only ground, for some reason, that I found that worked and fixed my problem.
I brought my Z1 to CC to have installed and I asked them to do the bypass for me. One guy said that it's not possible because of the gyro...whatever. So I told him that I have done my research and I know it can be done and I had the Sminntech page loaded up on my Sidekick for him to read. Basically he said he wasn't going to do it.

When I picked up my car a different guy told me that he installed a little flip switch for the ebrake wire I guess. So when I flipped the switch and drove I would get my all my features. It worked for like the first day or two. Now when I begin to move the buttons get disabled and then upon going real slow, close to a stop, the buttons are enabled again. I also get the improper wiring alert as well. Should I get it rewired to the 07/06 bypass or is there something that can be worked with the way they have it set up?

Thanks for the help.
I was thinking that but when I flip the switch on and off the system reacts to that. I got the buttons and then I don't get the buttons. I'll try the reset to get rid of the alerts since I haven't tried that yet. I guess the navi is sensing that I'm moving and maybe overriding the switch that they have installed for the brake.
[quote name="rbyrnes619"]I was thinking that but when I flip the switch on and off the system reacts to that. I got the buttons and then I don't get the buttons. I'll try the reset to get rid of the alerts since I haven't tried that yet. I guess the navi is sensing that I'm moving and maybe overriding the switch that they have installed for the brake.[/quote]

Nope. The unit should only be relying solely on wether or not your ebrake is grounded (assuming the mute cable is relocated and grounded).
When a Z1 is freshly installed, all you need to bypass the lockouts is grounding the parking brake wire and, rbyrnes619, it sounds like that's all they did.

The problem is that after a few days the unit will calibrate itself and then it will start listening to it's internal gyro. Nothing came loose, it was never connected to begin with. It takes a couple days before warning messages come back. If you haven't done much entering data, songs, messages, etc... you can do a level 4 reset (and clear the 3d calibration settings) and keep using the switch and it will work for a couple more days.

If you want this "bypass" to work more than a couple days you need to go to my web site: [url=http://www.sminntech.com/z1flash.html]http://www.sminntech.com/z1flash.html[/url] go to the 07/06 bypass section and you need to do the connection for WIRE #2. If you do that, you can flip that switch and it will work all the time and never give you any errors or lock you back out. You will probably need a reset (recessed button to the right of eject) to get rid of the parking brake message so it will go away and never come back.
When are you supposed to hit the reset button. When the alert message comes up? When it's done loading?

To be honest with you, I don't even know how to get access to these wires. I'm assuming that I have to pull the unit out of the dash. What is the proper way to do that? Is this something that I should do myself or should I take it to a pro with some printed out pages from this forum so that they can see what to do?
[quote name="rbyrnes619"]When are you supposed to hit the reset button. When the alert message comes up? When it's done loading?

To be honest with you, I don't even know how to get access to these wires. I'm assuming that I have to pull the unit out of the dash. What is the proper way to do that? Is this something that I should do myself or should I take it to a pro with some printed out pages from this forum so that they can see what to do?[/quote]

You can restart it at anytime past the splash screen.

To access the wires you will have to pull the unit out of the dash. Since you got a pro to installed it, I dont know how comfortable you would be doing this. It is up to you to decide that.

I dont know if they will do the bypass for you though, since it is a big legal issue for them.