AVIC411.com

Security Bypass and Z1 FAQ and Owners Manuals

[quote name="edrock200"]
Err this is the sticky FAQ...what am I missing.[/quote]

I think he means that both of these links are the same link.

[quote name="edrock200"]
Installation Manual:
[url=http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pio/pe/images/portal/cit_11221/308223025AVICZ1InstallationManual.pdf]http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pio/p ... Manual.pdf[/url]

Owners Manual:
[url=http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pio/pe/images/portal/cit_11221/308223025AVICZ1InstallationManual.pdf]http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pio/p ... Manual.pdf[/url]
[/quote]
  • Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="ducatiboy"] [quote name="edrock200"]
Err this is the sticky FAQ...what am I missing.[/quote]

I think he means that both of these links are the same link.

[quote name="edrock200"]
Installation Manual:

Owners Manual:
[/quote][/quote]

Oops, corrected, thanks for the note.
Guest JJPSUPERDAD
WE have foun that the bypass works well on our unit by just turning n the lights starting the car and waiting to see the message on the screen then shutting off the lights . it works !!!
[quote name="JJPSUPERDAD"]WE have foun that the bypass works well on our unit by just turning n the lights starting the car and waiting to see the message on the screen then shutting off the lights . it works !!![/quote]

Yes the unit looks for 12v to turn off on the line at a specific time durring boot, it doesn't need to see the 12v turn on however.
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest Marc
I don't know about flicking lights, or circuit boards, or soldering, but the guys who work on my car made a relay to bypass everything...He said it was only about $30 in parts, works perfectly....Now if I can just disable the splash screen and figure out how to UL a data disc I'll be happy....I imagine any good audio shop can do the bypass as mine was only the 2nd install they had ever done.....[/code]
[quote name="Marc"]I don't know about flicking lights, or circuit boards, or soldering, but the guys who work on my car made a relay to bypass everything...He said it was only about $30 in parts, works perfectly....Now if I can just disable the splash screen and figure out how to UL a data disc I'll be happy....I imagine any good audio shop can do the bypass as mine was only the 2nd install they had ever done.....[/code][/quote]

I'm guessing that you flip a switch and the "relays" make it so you can "do things" you couldn't before?

If so, put it on the NAV screen and tell it you want to go from point A to point B and then flip the switch so you can access your menus or the DVD player or whatever, your car will think you are not moving. So you are basically killing the nav while you have that switch flipped. I guess it's better than nothing, but not great.

Also the Z1 has internal motion sensors which can not be bypassed with a relay. If they detect motion, that can also kill your relay bypass. Even with the relays cutting the GPS and faking out the parking brake, it can still sense it's moving. Some vehicles will cause this more than others.

If you would have just flashed the head lights when it booted up, you would have had every function working all the time. And that's "free". Or you can buy premade circuits, there are a few (including the one I sell) for around $30-$50 ish and they do it for you.
[quote name="Marc"]I don't know about flicking lights, or circuit boards, or soldering, but the guys who work on my car made a relay to bypass everything...He said it was only about $30 in parts, works perfectly....Now if I can just disable the splash screen and figure out how to UL a data disc I'll be happy....I imagine any good audio shop can do the bypass as mine was only the 2nd install they had ever done.....[/code][/quote]

To add to what ducatiboy said, your audioshop really doesn't test properly. Had they tested, they would see that they've limited much of your functionality unfortunately. I would use the flasher bypass and undo those relays, or just leave the relays on all the time and install a flasher bypass. The relays are not worth the headache you will face.
I have a 2004 Jetta GLI

I'm looking to get the Z1 shortly and of COURSE would love to have everything unlocked while driving. So my passenger can input GPS directions while i drive and or watch a movie. and so i can use it while in traffic or waiting at a stop light

i have been reading all over the forum and I would love to just have to have my lights on then turn them off at the load screen.

however, i have daytime running lights that can not be turned off unless i pull the E brake when the car is on.

will this keep the trick from working? will turning my actual headlights on then off cause the BYPASS to work?

thanks.
[quote name="ajmi982"]
however, i have daytime running lights that can not be turned off unless i pull the E brake when the car is on.

will this keep the trick from working? will turning my actual headlights on then off cause the BYPASS to work?

thanks.[/quote]

Most likely that "flashing your lights manually" truck will not work then. So you won't be able to test it. You would probably need something to flash your lights for you like my circuit [url=http://www.sminntech.com]www.sminntech.com[/url]
Actually, you're both wrong, I don't touch ANY switches, nor do I lose ANY functionality...I'm not doubting that you're little flasher thing works, but the relay I have works flawlessly, and has NOTHING to do with the lights, and you must be mistaken about the internal motion sensors, either that, or this relay takes that into account...Hate to break it to you, there's a better way.

[quote name="Anonymous"] [quote name="Marc"]I don't know about flicking lights, or circuit boards, or soldering, but the guys who work on my car made a relay to bypass everything...He said it was only about $30 in parts, works perfectly....Now if I can just disable the splash screen and figure out how to UL a data disc I'll be happy....I imagine any good audio shop can do the bypass as mine was only the 2nd install they had ever done.....[/code][/quote]

To add to what ducatiboy said, your audioshop really doesn't test properly. Had they tested, they would see that they've limited much of your functionality unfortunately. I would use the flasher bypass and undo those relays, or just leave the relays on all the time and install a flasher bypass. The relays are not worth the headache you will face.[/quote]
[quote name="Anonymous"]Actually, you're both wrong, I don't touch ANY switches, nor do I lose ANY functionality...I'm not doubting that you're little flasher thing works, but the relay I have works flawlessly, and has NOTHING to do with the lights, and you must be mistaken about the internal motion sensors, either that, or this relay takes that into account...Hate to break it to you, there's a better way.

[quote name="Anonymous"] [quote name="Marc"]I don't know about flicking lights, or circuit boards, or soldering, but the guys who work on my car made a relay to bypass everything...He said it was only about $30 in parts, works perfectly....Now if I can just disable the splash screen and figure out how to UL a data disc I'll be happy....I imagine any good audio shop can do the bypass as mine was only the 2nd install they had ever done.....[/code][/quote]

To add to what ducatiboy said, your audioshop really doesn't test properly. Had they tested, they would see that they've limited much of your functionality unfortunately. I would use the flasher bypass and undo those relays, or just leave the relays on all the time and install a flasher bypass. The relays are not worth the headache you will face.[/quote][/quote]

More than likely they wired up the relays to flash the illum wire then. Not sure why you are making this into a "contest," we're all here to learn from each other. If you can post schematics and explain why yours is a "better way" we'd love to hear it, though I'm not sure how a bunch of relays is better than a $30 solid state device, again though, I'm all ears, please enlighten us poor souls.
[quote name="Anonymous"]Actually, you're both wrong, I don't touch ANY switches, nor do I lose ANY functionality...I'm not doubting that you're little flasher thing works, but the relay I have works flawlessly, and has NOTHING to do with the lights, and you must be mistaken about the internal motion sensors, either that, or this relay takes that into account...Hate to break it to you, there's a better way.[/quote]

Well please share what was done.

If you actually looked at what you have, I would go out on a limb and take a guess. And unless I'm wrong and I'm never wrong..... :)

Most likely what you have installed is a mechanical version of what I sell. And if there are no switches then it's most likely mechanically telling the Z1 that you are flashing your lights with relays. The general "relay" solution was to "unplug" the gps antenna and ground the parking brake faking the unit into thinking it was parked. And therefore losing functionality. I have seen some new "flashers" out on ebay which used a 555 timer and relays and no on/off switch (someone even posted this circuit here).

Feel free to prove me wrong and post the information showing what you have, but I would bet money (and I never bet) that all your device is doing is "flashing your lights". If it works like you said, then it's just flashing your lights.

But the unit does have internal motion sensors
[url=http://www.bigfloppydonkeyballs.com/~leech/z1hddcopy/gsensor.jpg]http://www.bigfloppydonkeyballs.com/~le ... sensor.jpg[/url]
But pioneer put in that if you flash your lights it will not worry about them. And I tried to "fake it out" externally and they did see the motion.

[quote name="Anonymous"] this relay takes that into account...Hate to break it to you, there's a better way.[/quote]

If what you have is using relay(s) then it's just a "mechanical" version of what I already make. I could have done that, it's easier to design and it's a shortcut that I chose not to take. Anyone who has done reliability studies on electronic circuits, would never include a relay in any design like this, it's not needed and in my opinion it's what a amateur would design into something like this.

I don't know what you consider "better". In my mind I want reliability for something like this and I would not consider a timer and couple relays "reliable" which is the standard "other version" out there. Do you consider "better" as cheaper? Well there are other solutions which could be "cheaper", but with a $2K nav system, I find it funny that people are trying to save $5-15 on something like one of these bypass circuits. But I'm really glad you got yours installed and that it's working well for you. Feel free to share what you have.

If there is a "better" way, I would love to hear about it.... we all would.
[quote name="BigFloppy"] [quote name="ducatiboy"]If there is a "better" way, I would love to hear about it.... we all would.[/quote]

I think we all would (and we'll all be coming back for refunds :mrgreen: )[/quote]

NO REFUNDS! :D We can talk about retro-fitting or something. I'll look into it. :)