AVIC411.com

Will external Hard drive (ie. WD Passport) work?

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not terribly difficult with the right know how.

wow look at how you even worded your responce, its not "terribly" difficult, meaning that is is somewhat difficult but not quite "terrible" and "with the right know how" because you dont need to have any know how to work an ipod, my 80 year old grandma has an ipod that she listens to.

BTW. I haven't heard of a 100GB ipod yet ;)

really, wow! have you also not heard of those crazy motorized carrages, i think they call them auto mo bills.

if i remember correctly, the 80gig (damn near 100) came out in 2006 and the 160 gig came out in 2007. thats half a decade ago, as Vblue mentioned, you might want to try looking a little harder.

wow look at how you even worded your responce, its not "terribly" difficult, meaning that is is somewhat difficult but not quite "terrible" and "with the right know how" because you dont need to have any know how to work an ipod, my 80 year old grandma has an ipod that she listens to.

really, wow! have you also not heard of those crazy motorized carrages, i think they call them auto mo bills.

if i remember correctly, the 80gig (damn near 100) came out in 2006 and the 160 gig came out in 2007. thats half a decade ago, as Vblue mentioned, you might want to try looking a little harder.

Look, Take it or leave it. I am just laying out what I know. And yes as I had mentioned earlier about the 100GB iPod, I have explained already. Sorry for even trying to help at this point! Jesus! This is why I hate participating on forums. There's always someone there to bitch & moan.

Just posted this in another thread but fits here as well...

I use a 32gb card that currently has 27gb used by 2200 songs, 90 music videos, 30 misc short video and 11 full movies. Everything is well organized and easy to find to listen/watch. At 4 min a song that over 6 days of music without a song repeat... throw in the videos and movies it's 7+ days before anything would repeat.

I'm not a fan of the 2500/350 limit but that said I make it work and I haven't seen a better option than Pioneer for a car stereo. Anyone have a better suggestion for a car stereo than the unit Pioneer built?

There is no perfect device out there I've seen... while many pray at the alter of Apple my iphone has as many if not more stupid limits for no reason than my truck stereo.

• 7 months later...

Limits is 2500 files - 300 folders that applies to the 930 and the 940 as well. You can put as many files on the dirve or SD card as you want they just won't show up past the first 2500/300 entries based on order they got created in the FAT table.

Where is this limit documented? I've searched the 940BT owners manual and don't see where that was specified. In fact, had I known about that limit I would not have bought the unit at all, nor would I have purchased a ruggedized USB drive with 1TB of storage. If I'm traveling, I want my entire music library with me, not arbitrary 2500 song or 300 folder cap. Has anyone hacked the firmware to remove this barrier, or is it a function of the head-unit lacking adequate buffer memory for indexing anything more than 2500 files / 300 folders? In 2012, it seems like a very outdated limit.

I'm not a fan of the 2500/350 limit but that said I make it work and I haven't seen a better option than Pioneer for a car stereo. Anyone have a better suggestion for a car stereo than the unit Pioneer built?

Given that arbitrary limit, I'd say a high-capacity tablet or ultra-book computer with either bluetooth or an audio output to any head unit with an aux input would be better. I'm still kicking myself for wasting $700 on the Pioneer AVIC940BT and the $80 on the 1TB USB drive - thinking I would be living the dream of taking ALL of my music on the road.

I'd have paid an extra $100 (or more) to have that capability. Car stereo technology is sadly behind by 5 or 10 years.

Page 218 of the x940 manual available from the Pionneer site. As well note format must be FAT 16/32 so largest size accessible will be 32GB

Capture-1.jpg

Interesting. I searched the PDF for the words "file" and "folder" and that page didn't show up. Searching FAT32 worked. Regarding FAT32....the spec on limits are below. Where is the 32 GB volume size limit that you mention coming from? (2 TB is indicated limit below)

The salesman at the store sold me the unit saying...."Whatever number of songs your USB drive can hold, this Pioneer unit can play it".

FAT32 was introduced to overcome some of the limitations of FAT16.

• Maximum disk size: 2 TB

• Maximum (single) file size: 4 gigabytes

• Maximum number of files on disk: 268,435,437

• Maximum number of files in a single folder: 65,534

• 2 months later...

So the most we can do here is 32gb SD card and 32gb USB storage -- both formatted FAT32?

I'm not going to get many albums loaded up if I use WAV format ... 

And does anyone have a better answer to the file sorting issue other than downloading DiskSort or FolderSort from the internet?

Thanks.  John

So the most we can do here is 32gb SD card and 32gb USB storage -- both formatted FAT32?

And does anyone have a better answer to the file sorting issue other than downloading DiskSort or FolderSort from the internet?

dont have any problem getting more storage by using an Ipod...

...also there doesnt seem to be any problems with file sorting either.

• 1 year later...

Not being sarcastic, just want to know why invest in an IPOD when you have so many other options available. I've crammed every song I own on a DVD, USB memory stick, and a 16 gig Micro and they all worked just fine. Not to mention connecting my RAZR via the Bluetooth and playing whatever is on the phone. So again, why invest in an IPOD? What am I missing here?

I think the issue is that there are folder and file count limitations on USB or SD ... iPod is an external device that manages it's own file system and therefore avoids those restrictions.

What I don't know though is if you can display and navigate the iPod directory structure on the AVIC screen in the same way you do with USB or SD.  With bluetooth from my iPhone I certainly cannot -- so I have my USB and SD cards loaded to the hilt.

• 3 months later...