AVIC411.com

F90BT Update, Tweaks, and Maps

Hello,

I used to post here awhile ago, maybe 2 years. Looks like the forums have changed. Anyways, I'm looking for the latest firmware update, which I believe I found here:

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Car/GPS-Navigation/AVIC-F90BT

Version 2.0080 correct?

I'm also looking for updated maps, and I haven't been able to find those anywhere. I remember seeing awhile back that Pioneer bundled the new firmware and maps for a cheaper price for people who wanted to upgrade early. I didn't do that at the time, and would like to get those maps now. Again, this is for the F90BT and I'm looking for the US maps. Can anyone help me locate those?

Lastly, there used to be a thread with the most updated changes to the unit. Tweaks and whatnot. There was one guy who would always update the stuff and kept his most recent release available for download. Is that still done here, or does anyone have a link to his latest version? I'd like to get all the latest tweaks if possible as well.

Thanks very much!

So there's no way to upgrade to firmware 3.0 without buying this upgrade? I'm only finding it for $120, which is a bit steep for maps and a firmware update.

If you are in the USA the latest one is 4.0. It can be purchased here. http://www.crutchfield.com/p_130SD200FM/Pioneer-CNSD-200FM.html?tp=28053&tab=review&mode=review

This has been covered a bunch on the forum, the updates cost is to cover the licenseing cost of the TelAtlis Map system and the Parrot bluetooth system. Those two pieces of teh firmware are licensed from said companys for a certain price per unit. 4.0 includes the base firmware update, a bluetooth firmware update, and the maps update. You also get everything that was new in the 3.0 firmware since they are cumulative. 3.0 had a big improvments to the navigation functionality as far as lane display, 3d, heads up north updated POI database, ect.

If you are in the USA the latest one is 4.0. It can be purchased here. http://www.crutchfield.com/p_130SD200FM/Pioneer-CNSD-200FM.html?tp=28053&tab=review&mode=review

This has been covered a bunch on the forum, the updates cost is to cover the licenseing cost of the TelAtlis Map system and the Parrot bluetooth system. Those two pieces of teh firmware are licensed from said companys for a certain price per unit. 4.0 includes the base firmware update, a bluetooth firmware update, and the maps update. You also get everything that was new in the 3.0 firmware since they are cumulative. 3.0 had a big improvments to the navigation functionality as far as lane display, 3d, heads up north updated POI database, ect.

I gotta get this for my F90!!!! =)

I honestly don't think I can justify $120 for those features. I understand the licensing part of it, but having paid so much for the unit(and having it perform so poorly at times), it's hard to justify. That money could be spent buying a better GPS with free map updates.

Is there any way to just get the firmware update itself? I can deal without the map, POI, and BT updates. There's no way those are worth $120.

No. And the firmware update doesn't do anything but accept the newer maps anyway. Again, you're paying for new maps just like you will with any other GPS device.

So there were no more improvements with boot-up time or anything else? The new firmware solely allows the new maps?

And I thought Garmin map updates were free for life? Granted I heard it on a commercial or something awhile ago and that could be completely untrue.

Well Garmin sells map upgrades for all of their GPS units so I cant imagine they are free. Regardless this is not a stand alone GPS unit. You get a lot more then just GPS with these units that you don't get with a stand alone unit. Again if Pioneer or Kenwood or Sony or who ever has to pay to use the map software that cost is going to be passed of to you. This is nothing new in this field. And no, the 4.0 firmware offers no noticeable improvements or features that anyone has been able to find that isn't in the 3.0 firmware. There are no real release notes on 4.0 that detail any improvements so we can only assume there are none.

Thanks for the information. I believe I am only on Firmware 2.0 -- was that the last free update prior to the maps coming along with firmware? Are there noticeable changes from 2.0 to 3.0, or was that just to accept the new maps as well? There's a chance I'm mistaken and could actually be on 3.0.

Thanks for the information. I believe I am only on Firmware 2.0 -- was that the last free update prior to the maps coming along with firmware? Are there noticeable changes from 2.0 to 3.0, or was that just to accept the new maps as well? There's a chance I'm mistaken and could actually be on 3.0.

Yes 2.0008 is the latest verion that is free. If you are running a 2.X build I would recomend getting the 4.0 update (they are cumulative so the much larger 3.0 update is included.) If your are running 3.0 I would think think hard before putting down 100 dollars. I personally did get the 4.0 update and am quite happy with it but if you are currently using 3.0 I could see why some people would not want to get it.

Thanks for all the info. Is there much improvement in the firmware itself from 2.0 to 3.0? As you said, going from 3.0 to 4.0 doesn't seem worth it just for the maps and bluetooth update. Is there anything in Firmware 3.0 itself that is worth the upgrade? Advancements to the system itself or anything? Really wish Pioneer documented this stuff better.

Thanks again.

Massive improvement when i upgraded from 1.9 to 3.02.

Check out my videos on youtube :

Make sure you look at the other improved ones.

In regards to upgrades from 3.0 to 4.0, apart from maps, i'm pretty sure that the only other "upgrade" is for the TMC traffic receiver for certain countries. I don't remember exactly because i know it didn't apply to me here in the UK.