AVIC411.com

Cant get any phone to communicate on Z130BT

Just had a new Z130BT installed to replace one that was damaged when someone tried to steal it from my car. I had no trouble pairing my and my wife's Droid Eris phone with the original unit. However - my new Droid Incredible 2 won't pair and connect and neither will my old eris or my wifes eris. The unit recognizes the phones - and lists them on the headunit - the phones list the Pioneer Navi but when I pair - I get a "can't communicate with Pioneer" message. WTF?

I could see the new Incredible 2 not pairing because it's a relatively new phone - but the Eris's worked no problem before.

I sure hope it's not the Z130BT being defective.

Help!

Just had a new Z130BT installed to replace one that was damaged when someone tried to steal it from my car. I had no trouble pairing my and my wife's Droid Eris phone with the original unit. However - my new Droid Incredible 2 won't pair and connect and neither will my old eris or my wifes eris. The unit recognizes the phones - and lists them on the headunit - the phones list the Pioneer Navi but when I pair - I get a "can't communicate with Pioneer" message. WTF?

I could see the new Incredible 2 not pairing because it's a relatively new phone - but the Eris's worked no problem before.

I sure hope it's not the Z130BT being defective.

Help!

I never follow the exact steps listed in the manual. Well, I did once - and it didn't work. Specifically, I never use the "Nearby Device List". I think it only works with some devices. Try this:

0. On the AVIC, go to BT settings/Registration.

1. On your phone, delete the old pairing.

2. Also on the phone, put it into scan mode (exact terminology will vary).

3. On the AVIC, press "Register from phone". The "Please follow the instructions on your phone" box will pop-up.

4. On the phone, you should eventually see the HU name listed. If it doesn't (sometimes it takes more than one try), hit Cancel on the HU and go back to step 2.

5. On the phone, select the device name of your HU. Should prompt you for the HU's password. Enter it in the phone's keyboard (or touchscreen).

6. Also watch for any other prompts on the phone - like asking it it is OK for the HU to access the phone-book.

7. I think that's it. I'm writing this from memory, so I don't have exact details.

I have done it this way with many phones - Win and Android. Like I said, some require more than one try. Might be a good idea to reboot the phone so you know you are starting clean - no interference with an application still running in the background.

BTW, I always rename the AVIC to something less generic than "PIONEER NAVI". Probably a good idea to change the default password from "1111" too.

I never follow the exact steps listed in the manual. Well, I did once - and it didn't work. Specifically, I never use the "Nearby Device List". I think it only works with some devices. Try this:

0. On the AVIC, go to BT settings/Registration.

1. On your phone, delete the old pairing.

2. Also on the phone, put it into scan mode (exact terminology will vary).

3. On the AVIC, press "Register from phone". The "Please follow the instructions on your phone" box will pop-up.

4. On the phone, you should eventually see the HU name listed. If it doesn't (sometimes it takes more than one try), hit Cancel on the HU and go back to step 2.

5. On the phone, select the device name of your HU. Should prompt you for the HU's password. Enter it in the phone's keyboard (or touchscreen).

6. Also watch for any other prompts on the phone - like asking it it is OK for the HU to access the phone-book.

7. I think that's it. I'm writing this from memory, so I don't have exact details.

I have done it this way with many phones - Win and Android. Like I said, some require more than one try. Might be a good idea to reboot the phone so you know you are starting clean - no interference with an application still running in the background.

BTW, I always rename the AVIC to something less generic than "PIONEER NAVI". Probably a good idea to change the default password from "1111" too.

Been there done that. Only thing I didn't change was the name or password.

I also tried to do the update on the firmware - it doesn't recognize the SD card.

I think I got a bad unit.

Been there done that. Only thing I didn't change was the name or password.

I also tried to do the update on the firmware - it doesn't recognize the SD card.

I think I got a bad unit.

Hey rastta, saw you on P-9!!!! (I'm rschwerer - same avatar). Thought the story bout the break-in sounded familiar.

BTW, the device name thing probably isn't applicable - unless your old unit was also paired w/this phone under the same name. Since you seem to be having the same issue with other phones, could be the HU. One last thing to try is to do a factory reset on the HU. It has been known to fix things when all else fails.

AFA the s/w update - there's been a lot of people w that problem.

Hey rastta, saw you on P-9!!!! (I'm rschwerer - same avatar). Thought the story bout the break-in sounded familiar.

BTW, the device name thing probably isn't applicable - unless your old unit was also paired w/this phone under the same name. Since you seem to be having the same issue with other phones, could be the HU. One last thing to try is to do a factory reset on the HU. It has been known to fix things when all else fails.

AFA the s/w update - there's been a lot of people w that problem.

Thought that looked familiar. I finally got it to pair this am. Second try. HAVE no idea why it worked - I went through the same steps each time. Oh well it's ok now!

Glad to have my Cayman back - I've owned it since the end of May and hardly driven it.

As for the SW update - the unit has the most recent firmware - hence it wouldn't update. SD card slot works fine for the MP3's and pictures. I was looking at the wrong number. Feel pretty stupid right about now.

• 4 months later...

Yeah, I have a similar problem with my Z130 and.my EVO 4G.

I can get connected fine, but my contacts no longer will dowload/transfer.

Make sure you delete any duplicate contacts from your phone book, and link/pair any contacts that are different numbers for the same person. Also remove any special characters or extra spaces from the names of any contact. Those cause problems.

If you have an Android device and don't want to merge/delete duplicate contacts by hand, you can convert all your phone contacts to Google contacts, then synch your contacts with gmail. Then delete them all from the phone. Then use the gmail "remove/merge" duplicates function on the gmail website. Then resynch your phone with Google to reload the contacts into the phone.