AVIC411.com

avic d3 vs avic f7010bt

This may sound like a dumb question, but, I currently have an f7010bt and love it. I am thinking about buying an avic D3 for my 2nd vehicle. My question is this: Does the D3 read the map from memory after its loaded(Like the f7010), or does it simply read it from the disc inserted into the disc drive-in other words-if it has to read it from the disc then I cannot play a dvd or a cd at the same time.

thanks in advance

• 5 months later...

it has no memory. in order to recieve directions, the nav disc must be in. listen to a cd, the nav disc must be out

That's incorrect.

With the nav disk in, select the location and route. After it's programmed in, you can remove the Nav disk and play what you want (cd's, dvd's, etc.) The route will stay programmed in.

Obviously, you won't have the same level of detail without the disk in. I'm not exactly sure how much off your route it will save. It was able to save a route from Long Island to Vermont. There have been times when I done this, went off the route and it was able to recalculate.

Even without the Nav disk in, is has some basic level of maps stored in memory.