AVIC411.com

e-brake Bypass broke my AVIC-Z110BT

Well...first off, a little history. I purchased a new Z110BT back in July of 2009. I followed the instructions on the e-brake mod found on this website, and didn't have any issues. The unit worked fine after that....NAV, DVD, iPod, radio, etc. No issues. A few weeks ago, I noticed that the NAV system appeared to get "lost". The arrow would not track on a road correctly, and sometimes, it would not move at all. I also noticed that the unit would freeze sometimes when it would display the detailed turn screen (for a right or left turn, for example), and the only way to get it working again was to power cycle it. I talked to tech support at Pioneer, and they said that for $200, I can send the unit in for repair. The one thing that they asked me was if I had bypassed the emergency brake. I told them no, and the guy said that it sounded like the processor was damaged. Has anyone else had any issues in using the e-brake mod?

Thanks.

Well...first off, a little history. I purchased a new Z110BT back in July of 2009. I followed the instructions on the e-brake mod found on this website, and didn't have any issues. The unit worked fine after that....NAV, DVD, iPod, radio, etc. No issues. A few weeks ago, I noticed that the NAV system appeared to get "lost". The arrow would not track on a road correctly, and sometimes, it would not move at all. I also noticed that the unit would freeze sometimes when it would display the detailed turn screen (for a right or left turn, for example), and the only way to get it working again was to power cycle it. I talked to tech support at Pioneer, and they said that for $200, I can send the unit in for repair. The one thing that they asked me was if I had bypassed the emergency brake. I told them no, and the guy said that it sounded like the processor was damaged. Has anyone else had any issues in using the e-brake mod?

Thanks.

Very misleading title. You offered no evidence or even any rationale for the bypass damaging your unit. Electronics die all the time. It is no more likely to get damaged from the bypass than it is from heat, voltage surge, short circuit ..... or old age.

Did the CS ask you to return the harness? Without that, they would not be able to prove it was by-passed. However, it isn't under warranty anyway, so it probably doesn't matter.

Sorry for the misleading title. I guess that it's possible that the unit just decided to give up the ghost. I thought it was interesting that the CSR asked me if I had applied the e-brake mod (his words, not mine), so I figured that he/Pioneer know about the bypass.

I will look to see if I can change the title of my message. Thanks for the replies. I was looking to see if other members had any similar experience. I have had the unit installed for over two years now....I figured that it would have lasted a little longer than that, but maybe not.

...found out that I can't change the title.

MODERATORS: I wanted to know if you could edit the title of the a post that I made. e-brake Bypass broke my AVIC-Z110BT. Could you update it to read

Did the e-brake Bypass break my AVIC-Z110BT?

Thanks.

I find it hard to believe the e-pass is the culprit. I'm more inclined to think it's a computer (running Windows CE) and decided to glitch.

In a similar situation, I totally deleted 'my flash disk' from the IGO, and then reinstalled my backup (or the original should also work). My backup is a complete flash disc file. Everything since has worked fine, more than several months. Give it a try and good luck. Hope this helps.

hg

That is Pioneer's standard response to any issue reported so they can clear themselves of any responsibility. You can call them with any totally made up problem and that is what they will ask you. As soon as you say yes, they will claim that is what caused the problem. The fact is they have no way of ever knowing or proving you have it bypassed unless you admit it to them.

I find it hard to believe the e-pass is the culprit. I'm more inclined to think it's a computer (running Windows CE) and decided to glitch.

In a similar situation, I totally deleted 'my flash disk' from the IGO, and then reinstalled my backup (or the original should also work). My backup is a complete flash disc file. Everything since has worked fine, more than several months. Give it a try and good luck. Hope this helps.

hg

HG- So it sounds like you are suggesting that I use the upgrade CF flash disk that I bought to upgrade the unit, and try the upgrade process again? I never thought of that....perhaps I will give that a try. Thanks for the tip. I didn't think that the flash disk was for the OS on the unit as well as the maps....Thanks.

hg

HG- I have tried to get the update applied again to my Z110BT without success. I have the two SD cards that I bought from Amazon along with the password code. When I put the SD1 into the Z110BT and restart it, nothing happens. Do you know of a way to force an update? My guess is that the update checks to see if the unit has already been updated, and if it has, it does not apply it again.

Thanks.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...