AVIC411.com

xm and sirius going out of business - true or false

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep, I have heard rumors of a merger, but I think those stemmed from old info, back when Sirius was first launching and was having some money troubles, but as far as I know those were just rumors, even back in '01. Although the ridiculous amount of money they are paying Howard may put them all in the poorhouse.

There have been rumors of a merger since Sirius launched, and for now it still is rumors. Mel Karamazin of Sirius hinted he "might" be open to the idea of a merger, and XM said no talk has been made on this at all yet, so who knows.

BUT.... Why get HD? Sure HD will pump out more radio stations to listen to, but with more mindless drivel from "Zoo" dj's, MUCH MUCH more advertising, and lots of repeated playlists. Would the advertising really support all the new stations anyways? Advertisers aren't going to start putting more radio ad money into their budgets simply because there are more stations now... Which has the better business model? I say satellite.

Cough, cough, hack, hack......sorry, I just inhaled part of my own face! Does anyone actually think he is worth that? Honestly, can he actually justify that kind of money?

Considering Howie himself once said that satellite radio hosts are washed up has been DJ's.

BUT.... Why get HD? Sure HD will pump out more radio stations to listen to, but with more mindless drivel from "Zoo" dj's, MUCH MUCH more advertising, and lots of repeated playlists.

Might HD Radio also give you true "CD Quality?" I mean, my CDs definitely sound better than satellite (maybe because I'm using Sirius and XM is better, who knows?). Theoretically, there's no reason why you can't have CD quality HD Radio except for bandwidth.

Personally, I'll stick with satellite. Aside from the commercial free music, Specialized talk channels, and sports, I enjoy being able to drive for hours (in one direction) and never lose my stations).

P.S. I really hate the fact that Pioneer dropped the ball with the Sirius interface. It's been the dark lining in the silvery AVIC cloud. I mean, my old Sportster (that I paid about the same as the SIR-PNR2) did so much more.

I think its been mentioned on the boards that Pioneer didnt make the SIR-PNR2, its just sold under the pioneer name.

Also, you have to understand Pioneer is under contract to make all sorts of radios for XM, like my new Pioneer Inno XM/MP3 walkman, and my older Pioneer Airware XM walkman.

Pioneer really isnt to blame THAT much here. I believe they chose to include some sort of Sirius integrated option, so they dont lose any money on that basis.

Cough, cough, hack, hack......sorry, I just inhaled part of my own face! Does anyone actually think he is worth that? Honestly, can he actually justify that kind of money?

No hes not worth it at all, however with all the publicity he generated for Sirius their number of subscribers shot up dramatically.

DAmn pioneer and they're XM pushing. It works though, cause I've debated getting Xm ever since getting my N3 so I can use all the extra features. Probably not going to yet though cause it will cost me extra money for new XM units.

DAmn pioneer and they're XM pushing.

Yea damn Pioneer for pushing the better and more stable satellite radio provider with more subscribers, more satellites, bigger/better ground repeater network, and of course a stock price now edging up to 5 times the value of Siri's stock ;)

Yea damn Pioneer for pushing the better and more stable satellite radio provider with more subscribers, more satellites, bigger/better ground repeater network, and of course a stock price now edging up to 5 times the value of Siri's stock ;)

Hmm I wonder which one you like better?

"Sirius Tops XM in New Subs for Fourth Consecutive Quarter

...Sirius's revenue increased 150 percent year over year, to $167.1 million, according to the company. Cost to acquire a subscriber dropped 23 percent, and Sirius's third quarter adjusted loss from operations decreased 21 percent year over year.

Meanwhile, XM Satellite Radio saw third quarter revenue increase 57 percent year over year, while cost to acquire a subscriber grew from $53 in Q3 05 to $60 in the third quarter of this year. Net loss was reduced by 36 percent.

XM added more than 2.8 million subscribers this year to date. According to Hugh Panero, CEO of XM, the "significant revenue growth" and narrowing losses mean the company is on track for positive cash flow from operations in the fourth quarter of this year.

XM finished the third quarter 2006 with a total of 7,185,873 subscribers, representing a 43 percent increase over the number of subscribers at the end of the Q3 '05. For the third quarter 2006, XM recorded net subscriber additions of 286,002.

Sirius ended the third quarter with 5,119,308 subscribers, 135 percent above third quarter 2005 ending subscribers. During the third quarter of 2006, Sirius added 441,101 net subscribers, a 23 percent increase over third quarter 2005 net subscriber additions.

For the fourth consecutive quarter, Sirius led the satellite radio industry in net subscriber additions, capturing 61 percent of total satellite radio net additions in the third quarter...."

mmmkay?