AVIC411.com

I have recently just switched from an AVIC D2 to the Z110BT. I bought this radio with the Z120BT upgrade and installed this radio yesterday but seem to be having issues now. I basically wired it up just like my D2( I didn't use the reverse, speed, or illumi wires). I also have wired in the parking brake bypass. When I first turned on the radio, everything seemed to be working fine. Then I noticed the time stopped updating but still had GPS tracking my vehicle. I turned the car off then on again but the radio would not start back up. It tries to but just goes to a white screen and the only thing I can do is open and close the screen. If I leave the car off for about an hour and try again I can get the radio to operate again. I have checked my wiring multiple times but can't seem to find the issue. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

IMG_20110821_093137.jpg

I have recently just switched from an AVIC D2 to the Z110BT. I bought this radio with the Z120BT upgrade and installed this radio yesterday but seem to be having issues now. I basically wired it up just like my D2( I didn't use the reverse, speed, or illumi wires). I also have wired in the parking brake bypass. When I first turned on the radio, everything seemed to be working fine. Then I noticed the time stopped updating but still had GPS tracking my vehicle. I turned the car off then on again but the radio would not start back up. It tries to but just goes to a white screen and the only thing I can do is open and close the screen. If I leave the car off for about an hour and try again I can get the radio to operate again. I have checked my wiring multiple times but can't seem to find the issue. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Do you get the splash screen, or is it snowy as soon as the display initializes? It isn't clear if you installed the Z120 upgrade before this happened. Did you buy this unit used? It might of been flakey to begin with. Anything unusual about your car? After-market mods - like HID? Anything that would affect power draw? Is it possible it is over-heating?

Just a guess, but I'd try a hard reset - that is disconnect power from the unit. Simplest way is to disconnect you battery. You want to make sure to kill power to both red and yellow +12v. Leave it off for a few minutes, then re-connect.

If that doesn't do it, I'd guess it is time to send it in for repairs.

Thanks for the reply. I bought this unit used with the upgrade already completed. Stock F150. When I get the "snowy" screen i do not get the splash screen.

It almost seems like the unit is overheating or something. I just took out the harness and re-wired everything(this is pretty much a hard reset as well right?) just to make sure I had secure connections but still get the same result. I started the car up, the unit powered up normally. I turned car off then back on and get snowy screen. SOOO frustrating!!

Side note: the pink, purple, and orange wires that I don't have connected should have no impact on my current situation right? only operational functionality?

Side note: the pink, purple, and orange wires that I don't have connected should have no impact on my current situation right? only operational functionality?

No, they shouldn't matter. Just make sure they aren't shorting something. Oh, you do know that the bypass is different on the Z120 than the D2? But I don't think that would affect it like this.

It does sound like a heat issue. Do have AC in a stock F150? Is there room behind the HU for good air circulation? Are you in a hot climate (that is pretty much everywhere these days)? When the problem occurs, is it after parking in the hot sun? Can you park in the shade or garage and see if it helps? Maybe a sun-screen in the windshield when you park in the sun. Just throwing out ideas.

Good luck

Yes I realized it when I first installed the HU when it told me I had the parking brake installed incorrectly! I just had the parking brake wired to a on/off switch which was wired to ground. Could this have caused my issue? I've fixed it now with the intended bypass.

I do live in SC and it is a pretty hot climate. However, the radio acts the same regardless of outside temp. Yes I have AC in the F150 and there is LOTS of room behind the HU for ventilation.

I have started a claim on eBay for a faulty unit.

Thanks for your help!

• 4 weeks later...

Hello - I am new to this forum but I also live in SC and purchased an AVIC Z120bt off e bay but got a new unit.

I installed it a few months ago and have had some problems with the unit taking a while to load and the rear view camera not working all the time. I ordered and updated the software a couple of days ago. The unit worked fine but today I get the same looking screen as listed above, it then turnes to a black and white striped display, afer that it just goes black and you can do nothing. The lights on the bottom are on so it is getting power.

Any ideas?

Thank you for any assistance.

Darren

• 8 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 2 years later...