AVIC411.com

Treo 750 - finally a WM5 pocket PC - no bluetooth disconnect

May be this is a celebration too early - only time will tell.

So I was with blackberry and had a great bluetooth experience with Z1. Then I bought the Cingular 8525 (HTC - Hermes) and started getting guaranteed bluetooth disconnects mid-call - 99% of time the disconnect happens within 2 to 3 mins (this is the bluetooth disconnection, not the actual call disconnection with the other party - most of the times you can continue the conversation by using the phone set). Everything else was great. Returned the unit after reading many posts in the internet how WM5 phones are notorious for not maintaining bluetooth connections while in-call. There are other issues while not-in-call with many phones, but the WM5 phones drop bluetooth connection mid-call - very frustrating. THis is not just with Z1, but also with Audi, BMW, Acura bluetooth kits that I read in various web-forums.

Just got the Treo 750 (WM5 with Bluetooth 1.2) and was very nervous that if I get the same bluetooth connection - it will be a must return! Guess what - I made multiple calls using the Z1, one of them lasting more than 15mins and all calls stayed intact. I will post more details later after more calls over multiple days.

The things different about Treo 750 and Cingule 8525 in the bluetooth department: Treo 750 Bluetooth is v1.2, 8525 has the v2.0.

Another interesting observation was that: during the call duration, the screen light stayed dim, not completely turned off. I don't remember if the other WM5 phones completely shut off the backlight and I am not even sure if there is any dependency but if the system trying to conserve power by shutting off not only backlight, but also some services (including bluetooth?).

I really do hope that I will come back in a few days or more and say that bluetooth still works.

I haven't figured other features on the Treo bluetooth (like complete address book transfer etc. yet - I just wanted to test the disconnect issue rightaway).

cheers

Phal

Z1, IPod, BT, XM-NAV, both remotes (SR1 and the other rear one-forgot the name!)

• 5 months later...
May be this is a celebration too early - only time will tell.

Just got the Treo 750 (WM5 with Bluetooth 1.2) and was very nervous that if I get the same bluetooth connection - it will be a must return! Guess what - I made multiple calls using the Z1, one of them lasting more than 15mins and all calls stayed intact. I will post more details later after more calls over multiple days.

cheers

Phal

You posted your success a while back. Still happily BT'ing along?? I just bought a 750 and also have a Z1. With my 650 I had no problems connecting and maintaining long calls through BT. However, I have not been able to get the 750 to connect at all. What was your initial experience. Anything special that had to be done to affect the connections? Thanks for any help!

Dennis

• 2 weeks later...

Good luck with the Palms.

I had a 650 Treo run smooth for 3 months, then my unit would disconnect and connect randomly. Had the phone replaced and within 2-3 weeks of using the replacement, BAM, the Avic Z1 would disconnect and connect.

Same thing happend with my Nokia 6103 and now my Blackberry Pearl. Both phones also worked problem free with the Avic Bluetooth, then BAM...3 months latter same disconnect connection thing.

This Avic needs to go in to be replaced. Pioneer Canada insists there is nothing wrong with it. I beg to differ.

Good luck with the Palms.

I had a 650 Treo run smooth for 3 months, then my unit would disconnect and connect randomly. Had the phone replaced and within 2-3 weeks of using the replacement, BAM, the Avic Z1 would disconnect and connect.

Same thing happend with my Nokia 6103 and now my Blackberry Pearl. Both phones also worked problem free with the Avic Bluetooth, then BAM...3 months latter same disconnect connection thing.

This Avic needs to go in to be replaced. Pioneer Canada insists there is nothing wrong with it. I beg to differ.

Actually I figures out my problem with connecting with BT. I had to REGISTER the new phone with the Z1. Once I did that it has been working flawlessly with the Palm 750 ........... no dropped connections. For some reason it does take about a minute or so longer for the handshake than the 650, but then its fine. Boy, I feel dumb. At least its working.