AVIC411.com

AVICnet 2.1 for AVIC F series, working OBDII! Updated 2014/04/30

Just returned after a tour of France in my RV,where I have constantly "played"with my Avic,installing most of the mods and seeing how they go.Got to say I really like the Primo version which was packaged up with Chucks mod,although I have been running it alondside the Stan/Andr mod.The Primo allows me to input the sizes of my RV and then routes me along roads which are suitable,not farm tracks which sometimes has been the case previously.Apart from the sound issue,I have had the Primo freeze on several occasions which has meant I have had to reboot to get it going again.Has anyone any fixes please which I could try as I would really like to continue using this.

• Replies 699
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Ovalball,

I was also having Primo 2.0 frozen on me in many occasions; I think that I solved the problem by now. Below is the scenario: I usually left AVIC autorun from iGo8 to Primo 2.0 using carver's nag message hack (i.e. after waiting for the 10 seconds timeout from my iGo8 mod v3.4a, then run to Primo without any user intervention). After Primo started up, the following could happen after I perform specific operations:

1. If I go back to mainmenu then select A/V Source, then click on SD Card, it freezes!
  2. If I remove the SD Card then was in the slot, it could reboot on some occasions.
  3. If I insert a new SD Card to the slot, the AVIC automatically tried to load MP3 from SD, sometime it freezes!

But if I run to the A/V before launching Primo (have to Tango back to mainmenu before launch Primo, you will otherwise see two icons only when you switch back to mainmenu from Primo), it seems that I didn't have any problem afterward, even if I perform one of the above operations. I think that this is because more memory has been allocated to the A/V interface before Primo starts. If this what you've observed?

If so, I think that I solved my problem by changing the memory settings using the following instructions in SYS.txt (not 100% sure but after 1.5 months, I didnt' get any crash):

max_memory=

reserve_memory=

cache=

I didn't set the numbers of ryar because his recommendation is for a 64 MB RAM portable device or is for AVICNet, in which many programs are running in parallel (no offence at all dear ryar). Our AVIC has 256 MB RAM so I set those parameters higher. I don't have the number but if you want, I can provide you with my SYS.txt tomorrow.

Regards to all your guys and gals!

So i loaded the 2.1 files with my stock maps. iGo maps work great, i can go into the Primo maps but since i dont have the maps its just an arrow. audio part works great but i have a few issues.

1)when i go into applications and stuff i see nothing, no HOBD.

2)i dont see the part where i can go into the Garmin UI

Hi chuck

Many thanks for your reply and great to hear from you.I will try your suggestions and see how they go.I really do like Primo and would love to have it running trouble free.PS a copy of your sys.txt would be much appreciated.

Please see attached for my copy of SYS.txt.

I cannot catch all the keys of the push stick within Primo, like advancing to the next song or repeat the last one. Do you have any success?

SYS.TXT

Please see attached for my copy of SYS.txt.

Hi Chuck88,

I've browsed through your sys.txt and was just wondering if you have descriptions of what some of the settings do. I'm particularly interested in "csv_voice_enabled=1" as well as the [dynamiccompressor] and [tts] sections.

I've been using the TTS Pro voice with Ryar's 2.1 and normally play music from my SDCard. However the voice level is still painfully loud relative to the music even if the voice volume within Primo's settings is almost at minimum. I thought I had fixed it because the volume of the sample voice you hear when adjusting the volume sliders is way quieter than the actual voice when you get guidance running.

My next and previous song buttons seem to work, but the knob press which had brought up the voice dialing in the past does nothing for me now. Do you know what posible alternative settings for the [Keybind] section might be?

And can anyone comment on how the diffferent sys.txt copies interact with each other? I see sys.txt under iGo8 as well as Primo as well as APL2.

Thanks,

PMS

Hi guys,

In the past when having memory related issues I have found that I got the "out of memory" popup and Primo would crash, but I have never had Primo freeze. Avicnet doesn't have any low memory settings in it's sys.txt for Primo 2.0 (as long as the ezrider process is killed I have not had any issues with no low memory settings in the sys.txt). Ovalball, perhaps your freezing isn't a a memory related issue? A few suggestions; try remove or comment out all the memory related settings withing the sys.txt. Perhaps try switching to a different skin, I use GJAK 1.08 and have not had any issues. There is also a newer version of Primo (Feb 7, 2012) which is available, although it does not offer any significant changes maybe it is less buggy then previous releases. It is available at GPS Underground if you are interested.

Also note that some licence files require an SD card to be present or odd behavior (reboots) is experienced within Primo when a card is absent. I have found that most of the Primo packages available seem to included the licence files files which require an SD card. The licence files I have included for Primo with avicnet do not require an SD to be present and I havent had any issues since I started using them.

So i loaded the 2.1 files with my stock maps. iGo maps work great, i can go into the Primo maps but since i dont have the maps its just an arrow. audio part works great but i have a few issues.

1)when i go into applications and stuff i see nothing, no HOBD.

2)i dont see the part where i can go into the Garmin UI

Did you delete the iGo save folder? The user lists files inside are required to display shortcuts in the programs, ect menu. Garmin has been removed in this version avicnet 2.1.

PMS, I believe the middle button which leads you to the voice command screen is broke in avicnet 2.1 and I say good riddance to annoying accidental presses when trying to zoom in and out, ect. I suppose it would be an inconvenience to someone who frequently used this command however.

The sys.txt files are separate from each other, so the iGo8 sys.txt is read by ezrider (iGo8), The sys.txt in the Primo folder is read by Primo and the same for Primo3 and so on and so forth. In whatever folder the .exe for the iGo program is is where it will read it's sys.txt from. Basically they do not interact with one another. Some .exes interact differently with their sys.txt however. For example one primo.exe would ignore keybind commands where as another would accept them. Here lies the frustration, only one primo.exe (which only works with primo 1.0 data.zips) relays sound regardless of source atop the systems sound to give you sound through the vehicles speakers in primo. I have not seen any versions of 1.1, 1.2, or 2.0 which could do the same and to me Primo 1.0 is just too dated and lacks the features of the newer versions to use. I believe older versions of iGo 8 would also relay sound through the speakers regardless of source but it appears as though NNG has removed this capability in newer releases of their software.

The keybind commands only work natively on Primo 1.0. For some reason it works on 1.2/2.0 if a program called AEKMapScan is launched and immediately killed before the launch of Primo, but at the expense of losing all stock button capabilities.

Any idea?

Try playing with the usb232 program, it is a powerful tool which provides drivers for certain hardware. It is in the utilities menu. Tap new connection near the top and follow the directions.

Hi Chuck88, I've browsed through your sys.txt and was just wondering if you have descriptions of what some of the settings do. I'm particularly interested in "csv_voice_enabled=1" as well as the [dynamiccompressor] and [tts] sections.

For your sound problem, I would suggest using ryar's tip by inserting this line in your SYS.txt:

[sound]
use_os_volume=1

You will be able to control the volume with the knob, in a usual way.

For your sound problem, I would suggest using ryar's tip by inserting this line in your SYS.txt:

[sound]
use_os_volume=1

You will be able to control the volume with the knob, in a usual way.

I thought that did the trick when I first added it, however my issue is more about the relative volume between the Primo voices and SD music. I use the volume knob to turn the SD music up, but then the voice guidance blows out my eardrums. And this is with the voice volume slider within Primo set almost to its minimum.

What's interesting is that as I move that slider, Primo plays a voice sample and that seems to get quiet enough. However, when back in navigation and I get voice directions, it very very loud. Now that I think of it, I'm not sure that the slider even affects the real voice directions within the app itself. Are you saying that without that code above, the volume knob should not affect the voice volume? I think I've always had control over Primo volume with the knob, so then it sounds like perhaps I should disable that feature and take out that code. Though I'm pretty sure it wasn't in there before.

Oh well, I'll do some more trial and error and let you know if I hit on anything.

Oh, one other observation. This is a little of topic, but has anyone else ever had issues with the screen off feature under main menu's settings? I'm finding that four times out of five, I'll get the "blank" screen filled with seemingly random lines and sometimes very bright. I've rigged my Avic so that it'll stay on with the car off for short stops, so the screen off feature is useful to me.

I don't recall the corruption issue before starting to mod, so are there different versions of the screen off app, or perhaps could the memory usage be affecting the screen's blankness?

Thanks,

PMS