AVIC411.com

Z-130-BT~~~~~Day/Night Display Lighting

Just stumbled across this on my 08 GMC Savanna with auto DRL.

With the screen display setting on auto, there were many instance the nav screen would go in the night view on an overcase day making the black background very difficult to see. By clicking on the day/nite icon on the nav screen you can have a choice of having the background go black or just slightly dimmer than the day setting. This make the nav screen display much easier to read when your vehicle light system is on automatic.

The photos below show the difference between these three available settings.

post-48757-0-27458300-1320261719_thumb.jpg

post-48757-0-46085500-1320261752_thumb.jpg

post-48757-0-66173000-1320262247_thumb.jpg

Uhhh, what? There is no day/night icon. The AVIC goes into night mode automatically when the headlights are turned on (when 12v is provided to the illumination wire).

Sure there is. See first photo below. To get to this screen you have to touch the information icon shown in the second photo.

You are correct about the screen going into nite mode when the headlights are turned on manually or automatically. Most newer vehicles with the auto headlight feature will turn the headlights on automatically even on an overcast day making the screen go into nite mode which is very hard to see.

I hope this is clear because it was one of the things I wanted to share with other owners of the Z-130-BT.

post-48757-0-71400400-1320319186_thumb.jpg

post-48757-0-27714700-1320319327_thumb.jpg

Wow, I've never seen that on a Z130 before. Either you have some new software version or that's a mod.

Pages 29 & 162 in the Z130 manual (Quick Access menu). It is a customizable menu of shortcuts. There are 11 possible shortcuts (icons). The Quick Access menu is only on the Nav screen and can display 6 functions.

BTW, it has been there since the Z110.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Has to be you ILL wire either isn't connected or not connected correctly. See your installation manual. Mine is tapped off my tail-lights.

They must not have connected my illumination wire or connected it wrong because my unit does not switch at night and the day/night icon does't work when I select it. I swear I should have just installed this damn thing myself.

• 5 months later...

Stupid system indeed.

In Europe we have to have headlights on during the day, which means that unit dimms during the day as lights are turned on.

Pioneer should think about this one and provided a more flexible system independent of lights being on/off!

So, if AVIC is connected properly, it will go to night mode as you turn on your lights.

You than have to set it to day mode during the day, via day/night map menu – you can create shortcut on map screen.

Stupid.

I just fitted light LED sensor, it does it automatically now..

Stupid system indeed.

In Europe we have to have headlights on during the day, which means that unit dimms during the day as lights are turned on.

If you are referring to the mandatory DRL feature, doesn't that only turn on front lights? (headlights or foglights or LEDs on some cars)? If so, connect the HU dim wire to your rear running lights. This might not work on all vehicles.

BTW, I have this same issue with my Mazda's factory HU.

I just fitted light LED sensor, it does it automatically now..

This is something I'd like to do. My car doesn't have auto on/off headlights. So I sometimes turn them on in a parking garage and , when leaving forget to turn the lights off when I get out into daylight. I'd like the HU to be controlled by ambient light, not the car's manual light switch. Can you give more details -such as the parts you used and any circuit you designed. I'm confused by the use of Light Emitting Diode sensor. I've seen and used "dusk-to-dawn" type sensors, but those were all 110-220V AC switches and required a circuit-board. I once tried to find a similar 12VDC board and couldn't find one at a reasonable cost.

I can’t give you specific details as I had this fitted by auto electrician. The system includes white LED (the diode which comes with relay). It was a 50$ install.

He said it needs to look directly into the sky and install looked horrible - you could see cable by the front windshield - not OEM looking at all. After some testing, I relocated the LED further down the dashboard so it looks relativelly OEM.

Here is a photo of LED if it helps.

Led2.jpg