AVIC411.com

AVIC-D3 on Pioneers Website

Looks nice, but do you have to remove the Nav dvd when you want to place a cdrom or movie DVD?

My biggest complaint with the D1 is it doesn't play movie DVD in the unit and the iPOD interface sucks. Otherwise it's great! But with the D3 fixing those problems., it seems they created more inconveniences.

I agree, can't remember the last time I actually used the CD drive in my D1

I t depends. I rarely play CDs or movies in my Alpine setup. It's either ipod or Sirius... mostly Sirius. So I don't think it'd be that big of an inconvenience. And if you do have a ton of CDs... convert them to iPod.

Yeah, it's basically the same drive operation as the N1-N3.

Stores the navigation route in flash memory, then you can remove the maps DVD and insert your choice of entertainment for the trip.

BTW: The D3 is rumored to already be available to some retailers, with some more allegedly scheduled to receive shipments early next week...

No word on if the bypass works or not...

BTW: The D3 is rumored to already be available to some retailers, with some more allegedly scheduled to receive shipments early next week...

Dude, I NEED to hear more about this. I'm sitting, ready to pull the trigger, and my installer says that even March is dreaming. They keep saying stuff like, "Some of this stuff gets released at CES and we don't see it until July or August, blah, blah, blah."

If the installer can't deliver, I'll show up at his door with one I bought somewhere else.

Well, I put a deposit on one last week at my local retailer (been doing business there since 1997) and my friend at the sales desk said they definitely had 5 on order. Pioneer hadn't given them an official eta, but their sales rep for the region figured this week or next for actual delivery...

On the other hand, there were a couple new eBay auctions listed over the weekend by a guy who claimed the decks would be at his retail store by the end of the auctions and would ship to the winning bidders immediately, but eBay removed his auctions since listing an item before you actually have it is against their policy and usually a scam...

Here's a link to that canceled auction, scroll down to view the question I asked and his reply:

http://cgi.ebay.com/AVIC-D3-NEW_W0QQite ... dZViewItem

So nothing definite as of yet, just mostly optimistic assumptions by retailers I suppose; I'll let you know if I hear anything else.

Anyhow, I do agree that this deck will spark the long awaited next wave of falling retail prices for in-dash entertainment/navigation for the car audio industry; frankly, it's about time! :)

i bought my Z1 over a month ago and it's still sitting in the garage, i didnt have time to install it...i changed my mind, i will return the Z1 and wait for the D3...it's half price, and it does what i need (navigate me with good maps, bluetooth and ipod integration)...if im not mistaken, all these 3 characteristics will be better than the Z1...newer maps, better bluetooth and integration (since the Z1 had crappy ipod integration and just as crappy bluetooth connection...)