AVIC411.com

start Windows Explorer at AppRadio (SPH-DA01)

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...

In the middle of a long night of hacking my AppRadio (SPH-DA02), I nearly bricked it. My friend and I had disassembled the firmware and were attempting to get rid of those godawful caution messages. An ill-conceived jump opcode wrecked all of the deck's app functionality and sadly, the firmware upgrade mechanism so we couldn't restore the old firmware. 

We came across this thread but were unable to get the CE66Tool to work (possibly because of said earlier hacking). After a bit of hair pulling we hatched up a workaround that I thought was worth sharing here.

Another way to boot into Windows Explorer:

If you take a copy of CIS.exe (I just used the one from the 4.17 firmware), rename it to "CE66Tool.exe" and put it in the root of the microSD card (with nothing else on the card), and reset the device, it will crash into Windows Explorer. You can then force CIS.exe (the local copy on the deck) to quit and then you are free to do anything in Windows you want without being bothered by Pioneer's interface. You can even replace the copy of CIS.exe on the deck with the one on the card (after renaming of course) thereby recovering your borked deck.

The reason this works is because there is a bit of code very early on in CIS.exe that checks for multiple instances of CIS.exe running at once. By causing a second copy CIS.exe to run from the microSD card at boot, you get an error and access to Windows - even though your second copy has been renamed to CE66Tools.exe.

You can also connect a full size USB keyboard to the iPod USB cable on the deck. This makes navigating Windows on the deck a lot easier - it also helps you force CIS.exe to quit a bit easier! I didn't see this mentioned earlier so I thought I'd point it out.

If anyone has had any luck getting rid of those miserable caution messages (both the one at startup, and the one when running an app the deck doesn't like when the brake isn't on), I would love a patched copy!

Happy hacking!

• 11 months later...