AVIC411.com

AVOX Jukebox

Hey Guys,

I was wondering what you think of this.

I know there is one person on here with an Infinity G35 that has this, I was wondering how you like it. Newegg has it on sale ($89.99 w/o HDD), and I was considering buying it. It has a sweet on screen interface, and will play ripped DVD's directly as a folder.

Newegg: [url=http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16855182001]http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6855182001[/url]
With a 80 GB Hard Drive, the total cost comes to $172.98

Thanks,
Jason
  • 3 months later...
I noticed that the AVOX uses a 5V power supply. Anybody know of what to use to lower the 12-13V current from the car battery down to 5V?

It would be really nice to have a hardwire in the car to just simply plug in the power cable and AV cable and you're good to go.
[quote name="Concept"]Oh man! This is exactly the type of thing I was looking for. Has anyone on here used it or own it? I would love to hear about all of the pros and cons of it. I would love to use this for MP3 (for more storage space) and AVI/Divx/Xvid playback.[/quote]

I own it and use it. I put a WD 120GB harddrive in it and it works great. I have quite a few movies on it as well as MP3's. I dont have it hardwired, and it doesnt come with a car cord, but I use an original Sony PSP car adapter (the aftermarket ones wont work-they don't step the power down to 5W AND 2A.
Paisan,

So the PSP and AVOX use the same size connector then? Thanks for the heads up. I'm sure I can find an original PSP car adapter for a decent price on eBay.

Where exactly do you keep the AVOX in the car? Do you keep it in plain view so that you can use the remote at any time or do you keep it in your glove box?
[quote name="Concept"]Paisan,

So the PSP and AVOX use the same size connector then? Thanks for the heads up. I'm sure I can find an original PSP car adapter for a decent price on eBay.

Where exactly do you keep the AVOX in the car? Do you keep it in plain view so that you can use the remote at any time or do you keep it in your glove box?[/quote]
Hey Concept :)
yes the PSP and AVOX connectors are similar. I bought mine at BestBuy for $25 and it works MUCh better than the AC/DC converter I was originally using with it LOL.
For now I keep the Avox in the glovebox. I have the power cable running from underneath the dashboard to the cigarette lighter plug I have located underneath the dashboard on the right side of the middle "hump" in my explorer. Hopefully this weekend when I have time, I will try to see if I can take out the cubbyhole storage thing in my center console and custom install it in there, so I can use the remote with it anytime.
One downside I forgot to mention was that this unit gets pretty warm when using it continuously. the whole body is made of plastic, except for the top of it. The top of it is aluminum which is really the only part of the avox designed to efficiently disperse the heat.
Anyways, I still love it. I call it my mini-TiVo in my car :)
Let me know if you have any questions.
It sounds sweet as hell. I was almost thinking of setting up a small-form "carputer", but I didnt want the hassle of running a full-blown computer in the car just to play some ripped movies. This thing is the perfect solution and even with a remote? Just plain sweet!

I'm thinking of getting one and even with just a small 40GB hard drive. I'm thinking about setting it up in the second pocket i have right underheath my headunit. I measured it out and I think it might fit nice and snug:

[img]http://concept.dnsalias.com/Pictures/Mazda3/Pioneer%20AVIC-N1/Pioneer%20AVIC-N1%20-%20Close%20and%20Lit%20Daytime%20with%20Flash.JPG[/img]

But, I'd like to put it in there sideways because if I try to fit it longways in, the front will stick out almost an inch.

So I was wondering, does the remove work well with the unit in strange angles, or do you have to have the remote pointed [u]directly[/u] at the front of the unit?
[quote name="Concept"]So I was wondering, does the remove work well with the unit in strange angles, or do you have to have the remote pointed [u]directly[/u] at the front of the unit?[/quote]

Thats a nice setup you have there!
You definitely need to point the remote right at the IR eye in the front of the unit. Infrared sucks LOL
  • 7 months later...
i tried using the wire and it did not work. it got stuck in the head and will not come out and now i'm stuck with a broken adaptor. it powers on for a second and just shuts off. the same as without the electrical wire. wtf am i doing wrong? are there any other suggestions as to another adaptor i can use? i'm really stressed. i have spent the last 2 hours trying to get it to work. help me please!!!!

i'm desperate for some help