AVIC411.com

Replaced iPhone with Android, USB Problems (F700bt)

Hello, I have I F700bt that has been installed in my wife's car for several years and it has been working great. She just made the jump from an iPhone 4 to a Samsung Galaxy S2 (android phone). The iPhone worked great through the pioneer cable, gave control through the unit, sounded decent, charged the phone, etc.

With the Android phone, the only way I can get it to play music through the unit is via the front AUX in, setting "Input 2" to Video; which gets a black screen since I am using a basic 3.5mm to 3.5mm cable out of the headphone jack on the phone.

I have tried using a USB to Micro USB cable to connect the phone to the unit. The USB is never recognized, I tried both in mass storage mode as well as debug mode. Majority of files are .m4a copied from itunes into the "music" folder. I also tried a couple .mp3's in the root folder with the same result.

I know there has to be a way to get headunit control of the music played on the android phone, but I can't seem to figure it out. HELP!!!

Thanks in advance for any help available!

No, there is NO way to do control an Android music player with this (or any other) headunit.

The best you could do would be to put music (MP3) on the phone's storage card, connect in disk drive mode, and play files as if it were a connected USB stick.

No, there is NO way to do control an Android music player with this (or any other) headunit.

The best you could do would be to put music (MP3) on the phone's storage card, connect in disk drive mode, and play files as if it were a connected USB stick.

In my experience bluetooth streaming can accomplish much of what I am looking for, unfortunately the F700bt does not support this (hack/mod possible?) The kenwood HU I have in my car streams bluetooth seamlessly from my Motorola Atrix, even giving the ability to browse by artist/album/track and puts artist/track info on the display.

I have resigned myself to using her phone as a USB drive to get music to the AVIC unit, however that is where I am having problems. The unit does not find the music files on the phones internal storage. Do I need to use a microSD card inside the phone for it to be recognized?

In my experience bluetooth streaming can accomplish much of what I am looking for, unfortunately the F700bt does not support this (hack/mod possible?) The kenwood HU I have in my car streams bluetooth seamlessly from my Motorola Atrix, even giving the ability to browse by artist/album/track and puts artist/track info on the display.

I have resigned myself to using her phone as a USB drive to get music to the AVIC unit, however that is where I am having problems. The unit does not find the music files on the phones internal storage. Do I need to use a microSD card inside the phone for it to be recognized?

Since F700 does not have A2DP hardware, you can't hack it, although some people had success using an A2DP dongle plugged into AVIC's audio input. Obviously, this way there's no way to control playback from the AVIC itself.

I don't know how GS2 presents its internal memory to AVIC, so you may want to try using the card, and don't put music too deep in the folder hierarchy.

here is the best solution, buy a used ipod for cheap, load your music onto it, and then just leave the ipod in the glove box until it needs to be updated again, then your not plugging and unplugging you phone all day, and you dont have to deal with the stupid folder structure that you have to with flash media.

• 9 months later...

Thread necro, but I have the F700BT and I can connect my Droid Razr just fine via USB, just set the phone to mass storage device in the usb options when you connect it to the HU. I can go through all the music on my phone and play it. Video's don't seem to work (yet), but music works just fine via USB for what its worth. I can use the radio controls to change songs, so its better than using a headphone cord to the aux port.