AVIC411.com

I'd like to make the jump to SiriusXM but am not sure which to buy for my Z130BT - the Sirius or XM adaptor.

I've reviewed the channel line-up and am indifferent to this aspect - both would be fine. The subscription prices are similar, too.

Are there functional differences between the GEX-P920XM and CD-SB10?

Thanks,

_Am

In addition to the CD-SB10 you need the actual Sirius tuner (SCC1). The CD-SB10 is simply an interface converter between you radio and the universal Sirius tuner.

Check the forums here and you will see that the XM tuner has a much better interface. Presets that change name based on the channel, multi-line display and logos. With my X930BT the Sirius has only one line display, no logos and no preset labels. However, for me, the reception on the Sirius tuner was MUCH better.

I currently have both tuner but will pick one and return the other this coming week. At this point I think I will go with the Sirius tuner for the reception and quicker channel switching.

Your mileage may vary.

The GEX-P920XM is an ALL-IN-ONE self contained unit that gives your XM Radio, as opposed to have to have two seperate interfaces, a pioneer to sirius interface CD-SB10, and a sirius universal tuner SCC1 (or a SCV-DOC1 and a Sirius dockable tuner - Sportsters gives you replay)

Reception in my area, especially WINNIPEG, has XM repeaters everywhere! I can even get perfect signal in underground parking lots! Tall buildings don't affect it since these repeaters can overlap and give more signal strength! I like the interface much better, the logos and all, and even the sound in the higher frequencies sound better!

Other than that, I also have Sirius as well, but I am using the CD-SB10 and the Direct Connect SCV-DOC1 which I can dock my SPORTSTER 6 into and get REPLAY and also the ability to take it to another vehicle, in the house or boombox!

For most music listening, I use XM, and use Sirius for talkshows like Howard Stern that isn't on XM and use the replay function! Using the SCV-DOC1 and Sportster 6 is the same onscreen and direct connect as the SCC1 tuner, but gives me the ability to take it out and adds the replay function from the Sportster 6!

I have tried both the GEX-P920XM and the CD-SB10/SCC1 with my AVIC-X930BT and here are my observations:

1. XM interface is more attractive and supports a multi-line display

2. Logos are nice with the XM unit but become outdated with channel updates and requires firmware or hacks to keep them updated.

3. Reception on Sirius is MUCH better in my area. No repeaters in my area.

4. Sirius display is single line, but does scroll (XM does not)

5. XM presets, when set, update with the channel name, Sirius does not.

6. Switching channels is slightly faster on the Sirius interface.

7. Footprint size between the units is very similar but the antenna connectors are different - depending on the antenna you have an adapter can be used.

For me the better reception of the Sirius unit was the reason I kept the Sirius unit and returned the XM unit. The multi-line display is nice but wasn't something I used much. When I wanted more info about a song, a press or 2 on the screen gets me the same info as the XM unit. The presets that don't update with channel name when set is missed though. Logos don't do anything for me.

Regardless of your choice, satellite is so much better than conventional radio!!

• 1 month later...

I have a Pioneer AVH-P3300BT head unit and purchased the Sirius CD-SB10 and the SCC1 satellite tuner package to play Sirius through my head unit. Got it installed and transferred my account over to the new unit and was up and running. Initial impressions were great. Great signal, excellent sound, and was happy with it. The only things I didn't like was the lack of multi line display, lack of logos and station names for presets, and the size of the two components. Those were things I could live with though.

Then a couple a days ago, the whole thing locked up. I've had it for about 3 weeks and didn't experience any problems, then the other day it froze while I was driving. All other functions work fine on the head unit; FM, iPod, SD card, DVD player. Sirius just stopped working. It was stuck on one channel with no sound. Couldn't change channels or anything. So I researched and tried everything under the sun to get it back up and running. Disconnected my battery overnight, pulled and checked the fuse, unplugged everything, reset head unit, check and double checked all connections, refresh my sirius signal, and still nothing. Got to reading the reviews on the CD-SB10 and found that this was a common occurrence more often than not.

So, back to Crutchfield it went. I just placed an order for the Pioneer GEX-P90XM unit and plan on transferring my Sirius over to XM. I've had Sirius since 2004 and love it. I don't listen to Howard Stern, but I do listen to NFL games from time to time, so I'll miss that. But everything else I've seen, the music, news, and comedy channels are identical, so that will be great. I also read in this forum that it's GUI is better due to Pioneer actually making the XM tuner. I'll update this when I get my XM tuner up and running. Hopefully the XM tuner will last longer than a couple of weeks.