AVIC411.com

iPhone & iTouch IOS 5.0.1+ Wifi-sync to Pioneer!

This is AWESOME! If you leave your iPhone or iTouch in your vehicle, and if you have IOS 5.0.1+ on your device, and have WIFI-Sync turned on, you can sync music and videos to it wirelessly from inside the house! (as long as it is in range of your wifi)

I can add/change songs, videos, playlists, and then press the sync button to my iTouch or iPhone thats been left connected to my pioneer deck, and it'll sync wirelessly while I'm in the house and my truck is outside! How awesome is that! No longer needing to bring the iTouch in! I just leave it, if I find a cool tune or vid, I just add to iTunes, and sync, and voila its in my truck!!!

Have fun!!!

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cool, I didn't even realize theat my iTouch could sync over WiFi. Since I only ever remove it from the car to sync w/iTunes, I can now hide it more securely in a hidden spot under the dash.

But are you sure the USB is still powered? How did you verify this? I'm not sure if I like that it is still drawing power. My make of car already has lots of power-drawing features that make it difficult to leave it un-attended from more than a few weeks (without a trickle charger). Oh, and here's a great "feature". The battery is in the trunk, but the trunk release is electric. OK, there is a manual way, but you need to remove a wheel and fender liner to get to it. And guess where the jack and wheel lock key are stored?

Anyway, my point is that I'm not crazy about the idea of the iPod charger being energized with the ignition off. I also wonder about overcharging and the affect of constant charging would have on the iPod's battery life.

This is AWESOME! If you leave your iPhone or iTouch connected to your Pioneer AVICZ130BT or AVICX930BT, the Pioneer deck will keep the USB powered when you shut off your vehicle, as long as its been connected

That is likely very vehicle specific or your head unit is actually connected to the vehicle's power incorrectly.

Nope, I have confirmed

That is likely very vehicle specific or your head unit is actually connected to the vehicle's power incorrectly.

Nope, I have confirmed it, when I shut off the truck, the deck shuts off, and I look at the iTouch and it shows that its connected to power. But once I disconnect it, and then try to connect again, there is no longer any power. Its similar to the XBOX360 USB charge port, as its still connected while shutdown, the USB is still powered after shutdown until the device is disconnected. My Truck shuts off, my pioneer deck shutsoff, the screen folds back in (from being angled out) and nothing is on except power to the itouch, which is in standby. I go into my house, check my iTunes, click on the iTouch, it'll then search for it, find it and sync to it. And it is NOT connected incorrectly! I am a Master Car Audio Installer and the Constant is tied to Yellow and the ACC is tide to red.... I'm not dumb! Epecially when I shut the truck off the deck and all amps shut off! Obviously its turned off! Just not the USB, as long as its still connected.

Cool, I didn't even realize theat my iTouch could sync over WiFi. Since I only ever remove it from the car to sync w/iTunes, I can now hide it more securely in a hidden spot under the dash.

But are you sure the USB is still powered? How did you verify this? I'm not sure if I like that it is still drawing power. My make of car already has lots of power-drawing features that make it difficult to leave it un-attended from more than a few weeks (without a trickle charger). Oh, and here's a great "feature". The battery is in the trunk, but the trunk release is electric. OK, there is a manual way, but you need to remove a wheel and fender liner to get to it. And guess where the jack and wheel lock key are stored?

Anyway, my point is that I'm not crazy about the idea of the iPod charger being energized with the ignition off. I also wonder about overcharging and the affect of constant charging would have on the iPod's battery life.

The iPhone/iTouch has its own built-in charging system, you cannot overcharge it! As soon as the battery is full, it'll stop charging and just stay on standby... which uses soo little amount of power, you won't notice it! Heck I see alot of ppl with their satellite radios plugged in power all the time and left on, even after leaving the vehicle, which draws 10 times the amount of an IPOD charging and especially standby!

And obviously if you're gonna leave it and un-attended for a few weeks than more likely you should disconnect it! This is great for the daily commute and I even parked it over the weekends for 3 days and still have plenty of power to start my truck. If I'm going away then definetely be removing it, plus if I do go away for long periods, more likely I would be taking my iTouch anyways!

And I know theres power still after shuttinf off becuase on top of my iTouch and iPhone it shows the charger symbol, plus if it wasn't I wouldn't be able to SYNC it by WIFI! I'll post a video as soon as I can...

I have the AVIC-Z130BT, iPhone 4S, my wifes iPhone 3GS, my iTouch 4G and my wifes iTouch 3G, which ALL works on my deck, so I can confirm it works on this model, unless I got a special one!

If you guys don't believe me, If you have the AVIC-Z130BT, and iPhone or iTouch running on IOS 5.0.1+, with WIFI Sync enabled... why don't you try it! Or atleast while your iTouch or iPhone is connected, shut off your vehicle, watch as your deck shuts off, and look at your iPhone/iTouch screen! (u may have to press home or power key to wake the screen up) You'll see the charger or plugged in symbol on the battery indicator!

I found this out by browsing my iTunes, and normally will see my devices that are plugged in in the usb charger, and one day I left my iTouch in the truck. As I was browsing iTunes, I noticed that my iTouch was connected and syncing, and was going WTF? My iTouch is in my truck! So I went on and created a new playlist, and synced it again, went to the truck, and the playlist was there! then I was wondering how is that possible, WIFI sync only works if its plugged in for power! So I checked it out, and to my surprise my iTouch shows being plugged it while my truck and deck is off! But as soon as I disconnect it, the USB power drops, and I try to reconnect, and now nolonger any power on usb unless I start up the truck again! I have checked everything out and confirmed it that it all works, I have being doing this for over a week now, and I know for a fact my deck is OFF, I even confirmed the ACC power going in, deck is off, screen is off, amps are off, truck is off!

I just posted this to let you guys know, if you doubt me, I don't care, all I know is that THIS WORKS FOR toME! If it doesn't for you, TOO BAD FOR YOU THEN!!!

RiccoFX,

Hey, I wasn't doubting you, but was trying to understand any possible down side. I'll try some experiments when I get a chance - need to upgrade to iOS 5.x first. I leave my 3rd Gen iTouch in the car all the time except when I feel like adding songs or editing playlists - which isn't too often. I don't remember what OS version I'm at. Also - I wonder if this applies to all of the Z1xx series - or just the z130 hardware? I've got an upgraded z110.

I still want to verify that the USB is actually powered. I've got a USB powered accessory LED light that will allow me to quickly test this. If it does stay ON, I want to understand the effects and limits. For example - if, as you say, the iTouch charging logic senses it is fully charged and shuts down, does the HU quit feeding power and shut down? Or maybe will continue to provide 5VDC forever until the device is unplugged? There must be active circuits on the HU to sense the demand and do the 12V -> 5V step-down. That would probably draw more car battery current than the actual iTouch charging. What happens over an extended period of time? Does the iTouch WiFi still work after a couple days in standby?

BTW, you've just presented observations and a hypothesis - which seems logical based on what you report. But the same could be said for the notion that the Sun orbits around the Earth. I'm just saying there may be other things going on here.

The sync over wifi option is great primarily for those who use an updated iPod touch and leave it in their car. If this worked for my 160gb iPod Classic that I just leave in my car I would be so happy. I realize that isn't possible because it doesn't even have wifi but it was a nice thought none the less.

Well it doesn't keep the power on with my Z110 with CNSD-210FM upgrade. USB power stays on about 5 seconds then turns off. Tried with iTouch and a USB powered LED.

Can anyone w/Z130 test this? Simple - get your iTouch/iPhone out where you can see it with the car on. Turn off your ignition. If your iThing display turns off - just press the center button to turn on the display. Watch the battery/charging icon in the upper right corner. Does it stay charging for more than a few seconds? Yeah I didn't think so.

BTW, RiccoFX, thanks for the tip about WiFi sync. I hadn't followed the new features in iOS 5.x since I only use the iTouch in the car through the HU. However, after a few hours, I see from my PS that the iPod is no longer visible from iTunes. Maybe it times-out - or it goes into some power-saver mode to preserve battery life.

Well as soon as I can get a video up I'll post it, besides, even if you don't have power, you can STILL sync to your iPhone/iTouch Device regardless of being plugged in, as long as WIFI Sync is Enabled and is within range! Maybe my deck has a defect (a good one for me) or whatever but mine does still show power connected, but besides the point, mine and my friends iPhones they can sync anytime as long as they are within WIFI! So still if you wish leave your iTouch 3G or 4G or newer with IOS 5.0 or newer with WIFI sync on, and still get the same results!

My main point was to let eveyone know you can leave your idevice (That supports IOS 5.0+ and WIFI SYNC) in the car and update it wirelessly without having to remove it!

I understand your intensions and certainly appreciate them. I just wanted to make it clear that this may not be a feature that everyone can take advantage of if its only unique to a certain vehicle or install. Also, per the iOS5 wording for the settings for WiFi Sync, it only works if powered and plugged in. Again, if power is not retained for most people this wont work.

I understand your intensions and certainly appreciate them. I just wanted to make it clear that this may not be a feature that everyone can take advantage of if its only unique to a certain vehicle or install. Also, per the iOS5 wording for the settings for WiFi Sync, it only works if powered and plugged in. Again, if power is not retained for most people this wont work.

Actually the wording is MISUNDERSTOOD! The wording is for "AUTOMATICALLY SYNCing" when connected to a Power Source, but you can SYNC at ANYTIME!!! Why don't you try it or check this out...

http://forums.macrum...d.php?t=1249199

http://forums.tipb.c...connection.html

Keyword here is "Automatically"

You can manually inituate the SYNC if your iDevice is not connected to power, otherwise it'll do it for you "automatically" when plugged in.

Works on my Wife's 3GS, my 4GS, iTouch 3G and 4G... I know for a fact because I have tried it! My iPhone is next to me right now, not connected at all, and its syncing right now as we speak thru wifi, not plugged in! 3 of my friends confirm it as well with theirs...

Just wondering if anyone on here even has an iDevice that has IOS5.0 on it, or am I the only one using an iDevice (with IOS5.0.1) on my Pioneer!

I updated my OS last Saturday so I could try out your tip. And, yes - I noticed that it also worked without being connected. However, the only way I found to get my iTouch to show-up on the PC iTunes was to have it connected/charging. After it shows up in iTunes, I can disconnect it.

When you manually sync (not connected), are you initiating it from the iDevice? Must be - cause it doesn't show up on the PC so you can't sync it.

BTW. I also finally installed Pandora on the iTouch. Kinda nice, but it required manually starting the app on the iTouch b4 you can use it with the HU. Not very practical if you are driving, and the iTouch is hidden in a storage compartment. I guess I'll try it as a novelty, but I'll probably mostly just play music off my iTouch.