AVIC411.com

HELP: AVIC-Z2 screen smashed, repair or replacement options? General questions?

I purchased my truck used in fall of 2010 with an AVIC-Z2 setup already installed in it. On Friday night a buddy had to much to drink, was sleeping it off in my truck and smashed the screen in for reasons unbeknownst to either him or myself. I'm trying to figure out what to do here as far as repair or repalcement and stumbled upon this forum researching replacements on eBay. The unit still works fine, but the screen is smashed so the touch screen is inoperable, the screen will not slide out (it tries to when the button is pushed) and the "menu" button doesn't seem to work. My music still plays and it boots up fine. I figure my options are as follows:

1. Send the unit back to Pioneer USA and let them fix it. However, the screen alone is $250 the LCD module is $299 and their flat basic repair fee is over $200.

2. Find someone on here who can replace the screen assembly at a reasonable price.

3. Find someone on here who wants to buy the unit for parts or to repair on his or her own.

4. Buy another unit on eBay and be done with it.

5. Buy the new AVIC-Z130BT

The unit I have has the bluetooth phone setup, the iPod interface cable and I installed my XM module from a previous stereo. I would really like whichever repalcement unit I got (should I go that route) to be plug and play with the existing wiring/antennas/modules already installed.

Questions:

1. If I purchased the Z130BT would it plug into my existing wiring? Looking at pictures online it appears some of the plugs on the back of the new one are different? I don't want to get into re-doing the entire isntall.

2. Are the Z1, Z2 and Z3 all the same? I keep reading online that they are really the same hardware? I also see ads for "AVIC-Z1 fully upgraded to Z3 etc. etc." What does this mean?

3. What would you do in this situation? Repair, replace with another Z2 or Z3? Upgrade?

Thank you for your time and input.

~Brian

Here's the system installed in my Titan... I took it out and started taking it apart to examine it, but stopped when I couldn't figure out how to get the ribbon cable off. I like to tinker, but am more or a car guy than an electronics guy.

156552_1594483073218_1570178111_1348882_376392_n.jpg

Here's how she looks now :(

401928_2650888402691_1570178111_2390924_1227266453_n.jpg

Edited by BCBowers

I decided to drop the unit off at a reputable local car audio store today at lunch. The store manager is going to get me a repair estimate and get back to me. Otherwise I've found a Z2 locally for $500 OBO and a Z3 locally for $550 OBO. It appears the Z130BT wouldn't be plug/play with the existing wiring/setup in my truck.

• 7 months later...