AVIC411.com

Okay so i am Brand new to this forum, and it has been incredibly helpful so far. But finally i am stumped. I got my reverse camera in the other day and installed it exactly how i am suppose to. Oh by the way, i have an AVIC-Z130BT

The hot wire is run to a constant 12V

The ground wire is Grounded properly

The video cable is run to the rearview camera plug (the brown one)

And then there is a wire that turns to a hot 12V when the truck is in reverse, well this wire is run to the back of the unit to the reverse gear signal input.

Butttt it won't work? I have checked EVERYTHING with a meter and it reads perfect, and the unit settings are correct too. The camera is turned on and i have tried both ground and battery settings. I don't get why it won't work. now i can plug the camera video cable into the camera input and select it from the scroll menu and it works fine, but i want it to work where i can shift in reverse and it come on automatically. Please tell me what is wrong and how i can fix it. Thank you so much.

Tyler

You should not feed the camera constant power, only ignition power since you don't want the cam to be on 24/7.

There's 2 camera settings (CAM=ON or OFF, CAM POWER=BATTERY or GROUND), make sure they are correct.

maybe the reverse input (reverse lamp) wire is not seeing the correct signal. You can connect 12V or GND (You need pick one on the units settings). Even if you don't have any camera, the unit should switch to cam mode as soon as it gets 12V or ground.

simple way to check is to apply 12V to the revese wire and watch the unit swith to cam mode.

I have done this, i have gotten my meter and checked one random wire that has a 12 volt charge and i have touched it to the reverse gear wire on the unit and it does absolutely nothing. while doing this, i have held the meter on that reverse gear input wire to verify that it received a signal change and it did. And all my other hook ups are correct. So this is just sooo confusing to me. I don't see why it won't switch for me if it is provided a 12V and i have all the settings correct in the unit (and have tried other ways too)

The HU is not providing the 12v on that wire, so it must be coming into the HU from wherever you connected the wire. Sounds like you don't have the tap on the right wire. The HU's reverse (B/U) sensor is just a sensor that detects (configurable) + or - current on that wire. If it is always +12V, then I'd guess you have it tapped before the reverse switch - so it is always on. Put a MultiMeter on that tap and the other probe to ground. What does it read - when in park and when in reverse?

Like the wire coming from the unit labeled reverse gear. okay, i disconnected my truck wire to the unit wire, so now it is just the plain wire coming form the HU only, and not connected to anything. But on the side of the resister closest to the HU, when i get the meter, it reads a constant 12V. Its like every time the head unit is on, it sends a 12V signal to the reverse gear wire. Is something messed up inside?

Like the wire coming from the unit labeled reverse gear. okay, i disconnected my truck wire to the unit wire, so now it is just the plain wire coming form the HU only, and not connected to anything. But on the side of the resister closest to the HU, when i get the meter, it reads a constant 12V. Its like every time the head unit is on, it sends a 12V signal to the reverse gear wire. Is something messed up inside?

Possible I a wrong on the HU not feeding 12V on that wire. It might, depending on the polarity setting. Have you tried gounding the hot lead (after the fuse/resistor to be safe) to see if the display switches to camera?

No, I just wanted to see if the HU could be fooled into switching to camera by grounding the BU wire (at the far end away from the HU). This won't fix your problem, just test the HU sensor.

Set the Camera Polarity to GND (Ground), then ground the far end of the B/U wire to chassis. See if the HU auto switches to camera and swithes back when the grounded wire is removed.

If that doesn't work, try reversing the polarity setting (to Battery) and testing it again.