AVIC411.com

Gps antenna problem/malfunction

My nav has always been a little off since I installed it in my second car. I kind have got used to it. Haven't really had any problems with the nav function at all till today. Drove about 10miles and on my way back home I noticed my location was completely off. I went into the menu to see connection status and a message popped up saying gps antenna problem detected contact installer or manufacturer. Has anyone had this before. Do these antennas fail?

Probably not a failure of the antenna itself - where's the antenna installed? Top of it must be facing up, and preferably mounted on a flat metal surface. If it's under or behind the dash, make sure no metal is between the top of the antenna and the windshield. Also check to make sure the plug is seated firmly in the connector on the back of the unit.

Oh and btw it started working a few times today. Still when I went to the connection status it still gave me the same antenna error message. When I go to the 3D calibration screen all my bars were gone and the learning status says "sensor initializing" for a while then it says 3D hybrid

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

Removed the trim and radio and found the gps ant wire had slid behind a piece of trim and got pinched and cut through the insulation. Wasn't touching anything metal but that was it. Bought a new ant and hooked it up and that error went away and now it sees more satellites. Don't remember how to do a hard reset but I found it in either the manual or on here. Think you have to hold 2 buttons.