AVIC411.com

Has a z140 been confirmed for CES?

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's shortsighted. Yes, most phones have GPS receivers, but they need a data connection to download the maps. None of the popular phone based nav tools do a great job of caching the maps. Google will cache maps on the planned route, but will not download any additional data. If you veer off the planned route, you're hosed. Have you never asked your satnav to find the next gas-station? You can't do that if you're 30 miles from the nearest cell tower.

I stand by my recommendation. Unless you're guaranteed %100 data coverage, then depending on your phone for navigation is foolish.

I use the navigon app on my iPhone and must say its better than the z120 nav. The app does cache maps and I think the recent update allows you to download maps for specific states you want ahead of time, where before it stored all the data on your phone and took up alot of space. I took a trip from Pittsburgh to Lynchburg TN last summer (Jack Daniels fan) and the navigon app never missed a beat. That included a sightseeing trip through the smoky mountains with scattered cell service. I guess my original point was that it seemed crazy to pay an extra $700 for the z140bh if one of the only feature gains over the avhp8400bh is the onboard nav when advanced app mode allows you to still have a nav option.

I use the navigon app on my iPhone and must say its better than the z120 nav. The app does cache maps and I think the recent update allows you to download maps for specific states you want ahead of time, where before it stored all the data on your phone and took up alot of space. I took a trip from Pittsburgh to Lynchburg TN last summer (Jack Daniels fan) and the navigon app never missed a beat. That included a sightseeing trip through the smoky mountains with scattered cell service. I guess my original point was that it seemed crazy to pay an extra $700 for the z140bh if one of the only feature gains over the avhp8400bh is the onboard nav when advanced app mode allows you to still have a nav option.

That is a big premium. But, the street price of the Z130 is currently about $800, making the incremental cost closer to $400, about the cost of a good standalone GPS. For something that works pretty much anywhere, including in tunnels and the top of mountains in Montana - that's good value for me. YMMV, as they say.

So in other words, buy a Z130 now, and upgrade it to a Z140 in a few months time? Would the upgrade allow Android support too? Or is that still only on the 140?

Well, I am keeping my Z130, and hopefully it will get all of the features of the Z140, but who knows. I am encouraged by the response, but it could be that they will leave out some features. Won't know until they outline it. :( Hopefully it will be just a full update like they have been doing in the past. (well, I think they have been doing a full update)