AVIC411.com

Android in car with Atrix Webtop

Just sharing my latest project. I got Android running through the avic Z100bt using HDMI to VGA converter. If you were thinking about doing it, here is a preview of it.

Things needed:

• AVIC with video input
  • Motorola Atrix rooted to access the WebTop through HDMI
  • TODO: settings to control X11 resolution

I'm not very techie so it is tough for me to say but it looks like they are doing it wirelessly and it only works for certain Android phones (or iPhones). It looks like they made a custom module to do it. Either way, this looks like an amazing solution to me. The only drawback I see is the resale value of your vehicle when you try to sell it. But if the new buyer likes the setup and has a compatible phone maybe it could be ideal.

Here is their website

http://www.customgadz.com/store/product.php?id_product=16

Here is a pdf on how its all done

http://www.customgadz.com/store/cgdownloads/X2Module/Android_iphone_install_PRE.pdf

You left out a significant feature in your hack!!!

Specifically, you need to give the unit the ability to automatically call the nearest hospital to recover the bodies of everyone in the car who dies in the massive, flaming car wreck that will result from one looking at photos, streaming video from an Android phone, playing Angry Birds, and typing in new station names to create in Pandora.

Of course, the unit might not even work after the wreck unless you give the AVIC a hardened, aviation-grade black box structure that can survive 150g decelerations and temperatures typical of a massive gasoline fire. Are you a also a mechanical and structural engineer? If not, I can recommend one to help....

Johnny Depp, I bet there's an app for that. Imagine.., there is a pothole detector app.. so maybe I can create "CrashAid". But really I understand your concern, similar to having pandora integrated on the unit, etc.. Distraction == No NO! The trick is how we make the car for intelligent and robust with minimal interaction? That's hard.

In my case the reason I want to integrate the phone to the car is not entertainment. I already have that with the existing setup.

One of my feature goals is to be able to access and control my car monitoring without having to take out the other computer.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Looks like the parts for the MIMICS system just started shipping so I don't think there is much feedback yet. They say it is designed to work with OEM and aftermarket HU's like the Pioneer Z series with a special splitter. It seems like not many people know about it yet so it might be a while before quality install pics and videos start showing up.

• 1 month later...

XOOM works great on AVIC-140BH. Although Pioneer did not setup radio for both audio and hands free which was stupid.

You can always use AUX 1 or 2 for both video and audio from Roids using normal cable for hooking up AV. If Pioneer would get their shit together the platform looks like the hw is there to use usb to usb or bluetooth for this once the SW is done.