search help?!?!?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 frozenwaffles

frozenwaffles

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 04:32 AM

hi, so witht he 3 charater or less restriction..... how does one search for "BMW X5"?

#2 JasonH

JasonH

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 1,776 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 05:35 AM

I would do:
www.google.com/?q=site:avic411.com+bmw+x5

It's not so much a site "restriction" as a database limitation. If you could do 2 or 3 character searches it would make mysql (the database) look through ~250k posts to find 2 or 3 matching characters. It's not practical.
Lets say someone searched for common words like "the" "it" "jpg" etc, it would be bad... that many results would probably run the server out of RAM.
Google works in a completely different way and thus is able to search down to a single character.

#3 da445

da445
  • Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 10:55 PM

Why are all the intra-site hyperlinks dead? Whenever I click on a link in a forum message, all I get is an error like this: "[#404] Sorry, we could not locate the page you are requesting to view. Please click here to return to the community index"

This is really making the forums almost useless since I can't even search by topic or thread number.

#4 JasonH

JasonH

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 1,776 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 02:34 AM

Why are all the intra-site hyperlinks dead? Whenever I click on a link in a forum message, all I get is an error like this: "[#404] Sorry, we could not locate the page you are requesting to view. Please click here to return to the community index"

This is really making the forums almost useless since I can't even search by topic or thread number.

I'm not aware of any issues, can you provide an example?

#5 JasonH

JasonH

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 1,776 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 06:12 PM

Ohhhh I see what you mean... The old /forum/viewtopic links got broken with the latest update. I'll get them fixed ASAP.

#6 JasonH

JasonH

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 1,776 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 10:44 PM

Fixed!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users