AVIC411.com

Might get a z130 and have a few questions

Hey all,

As you can see by my post count I'm new to the board. I'm thinking about getting the z130 but have a few questions based on all the posts and reviews I've seen while bouncing around the internet. The main draw for me is the Ipod interface, with NAV being somewhat important based on the fact that I'm still learning my way around Colorado.

1) The NAV seems to be a bone of contention. Is it really that bad, or are people so used to the Garmin layout that they struggle with the different format. Does it really get people lost, or could there really be an issue with where folks are placing the GPS antennae? In the store, it seemed pretty easy to deal with as far as entering POIs and addresses.

2) If I bite the bullet and have it installed for me, therefore not being able to do the bypass, what NAV functions will I still be able to do while the car is in motion?

3) Looks like the z140 coming out mainly has Android capabilities (I've got an Iphone, so don't care) and "advanced app mode". How is the advanced app mode different than the z130's current app mode? Should I care about that?

I'm hoping that being in an AVIC forum that it won't be filled with some of those haters I see online in the review section and I can get an solid opinion from some folks who've had the unit for a while.

Hi,

I have used a tomtom, garmin, the nav that came with my f150, my wifes eclipse, and the z130. (I had a 110 before it). For me the Nav is just fine. What I usually like the most from any of my navigation systems is the ability to see street names, and my z130 provides that for me. (I use .25m settting). I used to use my Garmin 2460, and it drove me crazy on the lack of street names it would show me, and I hated the auto zoom feature that you couldn't turn off! Sure, the Nav on the z130 doesn't have some features that I liked on my garmin/tomtom, such as the display of my current speed, what the speed limit is on the road I am driving on (really loved that feature!). But as far as navigating me to where I want to go, it works great, haven't had any issues yet. The built in traffic works well, and redirects me if I want. I think a major contention is that the z130 costs 1k+, and a $150 garmin has more features. But the $150 garmin doesn't include the car audio system with ipod, tuner, bluetooth, etc :)

I am not sure if the NavTeq is going to add new features, or if it is just updated maps.

Kimo

Hey all,

As you can see by my post count I'm new to the board. I'm thinking about getting the z130 but have a few questions based on all the posts and reviews I've seen while bouncing around the internet. The main draw for me is the Ipod interface, with NAV being somewhat important based on the fact that I'm still learning my way around Colorado.

1) The NAV seems to be a bone of contention. Is it really that bad, or are people so used to the Garmin layout that they struggle with the different format. Does it really get people lost, or could there really be an issue with where folks are placing the GPS antennae? In the store, it seemed pretty easy to deal with as far as entering POIs and addresses.

2) If I bite the bullet and have it installed for me, therefore not being able to do the bypass, what NAV functions will I still be able to do while the car is in motion?

3) Looks like the z140 coming out mainly has Android capabilities (I've got an Iphone, so don't care) and "advanced app mode". How is the advanced app mode different than the z130's current app mode? Should I care about that?

I'm hoping that being in an AVIC forum that it won't be filled with some of those haters I see online in the review section and I can get an solid opinion from some folks who've had the unit for a while.

1 - I'm very happy with the Nav. During the first few days of use, there were definitely some oddities - like when I was driving 80MPH down the highway, it showed me .5 miles to the east, tearing through subdivisions and graveyards. However, over time it has learned and become much more accurate. The POI database could be a bit more robust, but I'm hopeful the switch to NAVTEK maps will fix this. The accuracy and directions from the NAV is just fine to me.

2 - You really want to get the bypass done. Many installers will do it for you. If not, then pull the unit and do it yourself.

3- Don't know. As the Z140BH isn't released, and I haven't seen it.... Can't say for sure.

The one criticism I have of the Z130BT is that the usability is clearly "pre-iphone". There are some devices in the world (most made by apple or google) that when you first sit down and use it, you'll be amazed at how easy to use it is. The Pioneer is not like that. I don't know if any other manufacturers are, either. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying it's hard to use, or difficult, or awkward - it's just not as 'slick' as you'd hope. To me, all of the functions work well enough, it's just that the overall package could be integrated just a bit tighter.

Hey all,

I read, I think on pioneer's Facebook page, that the update for the z130 to the z140 features (summer 2012) will also include the NAVTEQ maps. Updates to firmware and maps will not come cheap though and I'd guess around $250 or so since it will include new maps.

I read, I think on pioneer's Facebook page, that the update for the z130 to the z140 features (summer 2012) will also include the NAVTEQ maps. Updates to firmware and maps will not come cheap though and I'd guess around $250 or so since it will include new maps.

I can't speak for the other Pioneer NAV models, but there have been two upgrades for the Z1x0-BT series (CNSD-110FM and CNSD-210FM) and the retail prices were $200 and $120 respectively. They both included map updates (although the NAV application remained the same), new features and functions for the HU. Why the big diff in price? Who knows - maybe it was what the market could bear, maybe to keep the customer base from going elsewhere, maybe to increase unit sales volume, maybe they thought piracy would be less if the price was reasonable.

However, since this new (Z140) upgrade would also totally replace the NAV application (and of course all the maps due to format change), and add some very desirable features - including better Android support, I would expect it to be more expensive since it will need to cover the cost of a new NAVTEQ product license for our TeleAtlas based units.

Good point on the cost of the upgrade to the z140 with the Navteq maps. My impatient side is tempted to get the z130 and upgrade, but I'm thinking if those other upgrades topped at $200, this one could easily roll in at $300 making the difference very slight.

I wasn't in the market until February/March anyway and this way I can have more time to psyche myself up for the install. Chicagoandy mentioned that many shops will do the bypass - wouldn't they get in trouble for doing that? Or is it something I have to go to a smaller independent location?

I am willing to go on record here now with my experience in watching Pioneer and their practices on this forum for the last 5 plus years and say that the new upgrade if at all will not exceed 200 dollars. The problem in my opinion however is still the shity navi software it appears it will continue to use judging by the screen shots I have seen. I have no doubt it will offer more accurate navi but the lack of features the navi software has is the issue with most. We will see.

I wasn't in the market until February/March anyway and this way I can have more time to psyche myself up for the install. Chicagoandy mentioned that many shops will do the bypass - wouldn't they get in trouble for doing that? Or is it something I have to go to a smaller independent location?

Pairadux,

I pulled the trigger and bought the Z130 with the sterring wheel controls, Sirus, and backup camera. I also had the by pass done. So far I love it!

I will keep u posted as I learn more about it each day.

No I had a local shop do it. I wish I had the knowledge to do so.

As far as the bypass... I tipped toed around it. Then I told them I saw a few videos on You Tube about the bypass and how easy it looked. I told him I was gonna try it when the install was finished.

They told me...Don't touch it! We will do it. But it was never done at this shop...right! I also tossed them some extra cash.

• 2 weeks later...

I just had my AVIC Z1.3 upgraded to the AVIC Z130BT, and wanted the bypass installed as well (I had it with the Z1 and could not lose it).

I was debating about doing the installation myself (bypass and all), but in the end decided I'm getting too old, and don't have the patience I used to have. That being said, I wired the bypass myself on the harness and just told them to ground the c-mute (which I moved) and p-brake wires and they should be good to go. They said they would do the bypass, but only so the passenger could access the NAV functions while driving.

I've found that shops are fairly flexible, but at the worst they may make you sign a release.

• 2 weeks later...

I've had a Z130BT in my Yukon for 6 months, it ntegrates well with my phone and ipod, but Nav sucks.

I would not buy another AVIC because of the crappy Nav.

I do like the phone/BT connections for making calls hands free; I'm a traveling salesman and I use it for business calls. I have XM and a 160GB iPod - these work nicely. I also added the PAC steering wheel control module and this works very well. Finally, I have a rear camera connected and it too works well.

However, the Nav really sucks - it's cumbersome and the routes it selects are a joke. I've had Garmins and this pales in comparison.

• 3 weeks later...

I've had the Z130Bt in my 07 Nissan Altima for a few months now I can't remember exact but it feels like a year and all I can say making my 6 hour trips with the NAV are prominent. The street names don't show up all the time but at least it tells you where to go and exit with arrows but if you change the views you can see everything it just takes a while to get used to. To be honest compared to the Garmin, it's not bad it gets you from point A to point B.

The iphone/ipod/bluetooth integration is amazing. I love hooking my iphone 4s to it, makes music and phone calls so easy for me.

I installed mine myself as a 20 year old and all I have to say with minimal tools it wasn't hard. It's mostly plug and play, follow the color and wire diagrams and boom everything works. I did the bypass myself and that was a b**ch. The thing wouldn't come out of the socket but thank goodness for epic pliers! Though I don't recommend watching movies while driving even if it is so tempting and you have to watch!

There will probably be some firmware and update from pioneer on the Navigation stuff but for right now, I've gotten alot of compliments and some have said it looks stock with everything inside.