AVIC411.com

Dumb question on upgrades

Hey all,

Got another question, but this one is in regards to the upgrades that everyone references.

I've heard mentioned that a z120 owner would do an upgrade to make it a z130. Would this upgrade be what's shown on Pioneer's website as a "free firmware upgrade version xxxx"? On their site they just mention it as an upgrade to resolve issues, but don't refer to it as making your z120 into a z130.

See, told you it was a dumb question.

Also, these upgrades I assume if the above is correct, would be free?

Right now I'm tempted to buy a z130 and upgrade in the summer to the z140 to get those NAVTEQ maps - that appears to be the biggest draw for me about the z140. With prices around 800-900 it just doesn't seem to make sense to pay an extra $400 for the NAVTEQ if it's free to upgrade to it.

Thanks.

Ahhh! The Z130 is available for a good price at the local Best Buy again. If someone can tell me with 100% confidence that they will A) Add Navteq maps with an upgrade, and B) Add android support with the upgrade as well, I will be all over this deal.

I can't do either. I will say that the Android interaction in the z130 is pretty good even without the additional features. You get full bluetooth controls with song titles (not with Pandora, but that's Pandoras fault). You also don't get any of the video features, like Netflix - but that's not a priority for me.

I learned a long time ago not to wait for new products, "vaporware". Evaluate your options based on what's available now, because there is always something "better" just around the corner.

In the past, Pioneer has sold upgrades to their units for around $200, I think. People in these forums have hacked the upgrades so you can sometimes find a free cracked version online, if that's your thing.

Yeah I knew about the hacked upgrades people post on the forums. I guess the only thing I was worried about is that it seems to be completely new software (Navteq, Android), and I was unsure if an upgrade would give 100% of the same functions as the z140.

You're right though.... I should hop on this deal. I have a bunch of Best Buy gift cards to use up, so it really won't cost me more than like 50 bucks out of pocket.

• 2 weeks later...

The only problem I see, when and if Pioneer offers an upgrade for current Z130BT owners to get Z140BH functionality, is the interface cable needed to have full Advanced App Mode capabilities. http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Car/Accessories/iPod-and-iPhone-Cables/CD-IU201S Unless the Pioneer CD-IU51V is compatible with Advanced App Mode http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Portable/iPod-And-Bluetooth-Accessories/CD-IU51V