AVIC411.com

Backup camera

Hey all, question about the AVIC x910bt. I'm thinking about adding a backup camera and have a potentialy obvious question. First, when you put the car in reverse, does the camera automatically turn on and display the image on the screen or do you have to press a button to turn on the camera/display the image on the screen. Second, and this is probably the obvious one, I would need to wait for the the unit to fully boot up before it would display the image, correct? In other words, I get in my truck and start it, the unit fires up and starts the booting process, the image wont display on the screen until the unit is fully booted (same way the map feature and bluetooth feature is not fully functional until the initial bootup has completed). Just thinking about this in terms of, you start your car, you wait for it to fully bootup and then you can finally put the car in reverse. Thanks

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I got this one: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0049LBJ56/ref=oh_details_o03_s00_i02. A guy at the Mercedes dealership said the angle of view was better than the cameras that come on Mercedes cars. The only thing I don't like about it is that it is a license plate camera but that also makes it much less expensive.

When I was looking for a camera, it seemed that the ones that were well reviewed were either very inexpensive or really expensive. So far, this one has worked really well for me.

• 5 months later...

Anyone have issue where the camera powers on fine when in reverse, but won't auto switch over to the Rear View input? If I manually select the Rear View AV source, it displays fine. It also powers off when out of reverse as it should. But just can't get it to automatically change inputs over. Suggestions? Thanks!

Anyone have issue where the camera powers on fine when in reverse, but won't auto switch over to the Rear View input? If I manually select the Rear View AV source, it displays fine. It also powers off when out of reverse as it should. But just can't get it to automatically change inputs over. Suggestions? Thanks!

not really sure what your trying to do here, sounds like it is working like it should.

the camera will come on when the car is in reverse - works normal

the camera will come on when selecting it - works normal

there is no setting to automatically switch over to the camera after the camera switches off, you have to select it for it to show up.

bgruhn - do you have your reverse signal wire also properly connected to avic, and avic reverse camera settings configured appropriately (signal polarity, etc). All described in installation manual for your unit.

The avic will "switch" over to reverse camera when it detects reverse signal. So your camera needs power when in reverse, and your avic needs some signal to indicate the vehicle is in reverse so it can switch over