AVIC411.com

Z120 Stolen - Z130 or wait for Z140

Loved my Z120 until it was stolen in a well executed professional break-in. Upside is that the thiefs were so good that dropping a new unit in place will be a breeze as there is otherwise no damage done to the dash, windows, etc. Clean break-in and targeted (didn't take sunglasses, iPod or other valuables).

I'm trying to decide if I can live with the gaping hole in my dash until late March or early April when I am seeing that the Z140 will ship from Pioneer to stores or if I should just drop the Z130 in now. Anybody have any scoop on the performance of the unit overall or any meaningful differences in the software or hardware? I can do without the latest iOS integration, that really doesn't have much to do with why I like this unit. I am more interested in things like if the voice recognition is finally above average and the nav and UI performance is faster or improved.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Atalla

Sorry to hear about the breakin, at least your car is fine. :(

The hardware is the same.

From what I've heard, the UI on the 140 is also the same as the 130, it just uses navteq map data behind the scenes and the POI sorting is supposted to be fixed.

There will be a 130->140 update later in the year, so you won't be out any features. (Usually summer)

Sorry to hear about the breakin, at least your car is fine. :(

The hardware is the same.

From what I've heard, the UI on the 140 is also the same as the 130, it just uses navteq map data behind the scenes and the POI sorting is supposted to be fixed.

There will be a 130->140 update later in the year, so you won't be out any features. (Usually summer)

Thanks Jason. Understand with regard to hardware and UI. Confused abot the Navteq comment. I had thought the 130 also had Navteq map data behind the scenes?

Thanks for the info on the 130->140 update. That might seal the deal for me.

The only problem I see, when and if Pioneer offers an upgrade for current Z130BT owners to get Z140BH functionality, is the interface cable needed to have full Advanced App Mode capabilities. http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Car/Accessories/iPod-and-iPhone-Cables/CD-IU201S

Unless the Pioneer CD-IU51V is compatible with Advanced App Mode http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Portable/iPod-And-Bluetooth-Accessories/CD-IU51V

The only problem I see, when and if Pioneer offers an upgrade for current Z130BT owners to get Z140BH functionality, is the interface cable needed to have full Advanced App Mode capabilities. http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Car/Accessories/iPod-and-iPhone-Cables/CD-IU201S Unless Pioneer will offer a different cable/adaptor that is compatible with the plug on the back of the HU

Is that cable sed on the z140? It doesn't show anything different in the accessories or the manuals for the z140 than what was used fr the z130

• 1 month later...

Get the z130. The 140 does not have voice commands. I have an Android and I was going to get the 140 and contacted Pioneer. Yes, its Android friendly but you will lose the voice commands. So, I got the z130

The 140 does have voice, pretty much has everything the 130 has and more. Pretty much a 130 revamped with updated software. I know because I had the 130 before and just go the 140 last week. Superb deck especially the advanced app mode!

*The rep probably told you that so you would go out and buy the 130 to help dealers get rid of old stock so they can order new 140 stock! :P

Yes, you can in the future upgrade the 130 into the 140, but you would have to pay extra, but choosing between the 2 better off with the 140 then u already have it! But I guess you already got the 130... :(

The maps and POIs are way better, especially because of the transition from TeleAtlas to NavTeq, and I always like the newest tech anyways, I had them all since the very first AVIC-N1 and Z1!