AVIC411.com

AppRadio Extensions - What's Next

Just giving everyone a heads up with whats next with AppRadio Extensions. The most requested feature has been controlling the entire iPhone from the radio's display. I've been looking into ways to do this and I have a few ideas but nothing promising yet. I'll keep everyone posted on this one. Here's the list of other features/issues that I'm working on.

Known bugs:

• When you enable Skip Intro Video, you need to respring in order for it to take effect. Easy fix that will be in the next update. (v1.1.2)
  • The intro video still plays in some cases even though it's disabled. (v1.1.2)
  • Notifications don't show up in the Pandora app.

Future features:

• Show notifications in the Pandora app. Pandora has special access to Pioneer head units so it's difficult to modify the screen.
  • Automatic TV out for non supported apps without the need for DisplayOut. I already have an early version this working but I need to hack at it a little bit more to get it right. (v1.1.2)
  • Screensaver type idle screen. When an app is displayed on the screen and you don't touch the display for a period of time, a "screensaver" will come on the screen displaying the time and maybe some other interesting information. I don't have this working yet but it looks like something that is very possible.
  • On screen button to activate Siri. (v1.1.2)
  • Keep applications on the screen while in the background. The Backgrounder tweak in Cydia already does this and it's open source. I should be able to include it and automatically manage switching between apps.

Issues:

• Home buttons. I can't keep adding custom buttons to ever new application that comes out. It's very difficult and each app needs custom code. People using the 2.45 firmware can utilize the alert bypass to go "home" by going back to the main menu and then pressing Apps to load the AppRadio app. Not sure what to do for everyone else. Ideas?

That's it for now. If you have any other cool ideas, feel free to post them and we'll see what can actually be implemented. I'll start a new thread for beta releases in case anyone want to test some of the new features before they are complete. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Firstly, I thank you for everything you do on this project. Im sure everyone feels the same way, but I just wanted to let you know how much it is appreciated. As to possible options.. here are a few things.. these arent things I feel are missing, but things you may want to add in the future perhaps if it is even possible.. they may even infringe on what the new jailbreak method is working on.

1) A way to change the icons/font of text in the same way you can change the wallpapers.

2) A more detailed screen calibration.. such as contrast, hue, RGB changes et al like my lexus has.

3) A way to bypass the darn hand brake system. For educational/working concept there should be no legality issues.

4) Voice activation. With siri available now, some form of screen based siri button rather than going through the phone itself.

5) Some way to use the units GPS as the main module rather than as an asistant to the inbuilt iphone GPS

6) A new theme for the system as a whole, my dads aston martin has a great design to it.

Again some of these may be out of the relm of whats possible, but wanted to throw them out there.. would love to hear your opinion of which of

these is/isnt possible.

On a seperate issue, you should have a paypal contribution setup unless there is one I have missed.

While your at it:

What I'd really like is to use the screen just as my iPhone, a dumb terminal if you will (this would be the ultimate).

If this is not possible:

Be able to access my music as I do on the iPhone.

Be able to access contacts as I do on the iPhone.

PS, we do need a way to contribute to your cause, such as a PayPal account.

PSII, If you guys install Handsfree, Activator, & Voice Activator, you can talk to your radio to get it to many things. For example I say Hal, the radio responds, Yes. I say GPS, it brings up my GPS. Unfortunely, you still can't program the GPS this way. It takes a little time to program all the features and options you want and the documentation is very lacking.

Should I update to 2.45? I'm not watching movies. I just want to use the AppRadio without obstacles. Really looking forward to your updates you threw out. R

I haven't had any problems with the 2.45 update. So far the only issue I've read about is with the parking brake. I'm running 2.45 on my own system so I highly recommend it, though it's not required.

1) A way to change the icons/font of text in the same way you can change the wallpapers.

2) A more detailed screen calibration.. such as contrast, hue, RGB changes et al like my lexus has.

3) A way to bypass the darn hand brake system. For educational/working concept there should be no legality issues.

4) Voice activation. With siri available now, some form of screen based siri button rather than going through the phone itself.

5) Some way to use the units GPS as the main module rather than as an asistant to the inbuilt iphone GPS

6) A new theme for the system as a whole, my dads aston martin has a great design to it.

1. I only have access to the iPhone software so I would only be able to change the icon and font sizes in the AppRadio iPhone app.

2. I can't change anything on the radio hardware. This is something AppRadio Plus would have to address.

3. Also something for AppRadio Plus.

4. It may be possible to add an on-screen button to activate Siri. Good idea, added to my list.

5. AppRadio Plus

6. AppRadio Plus

AppRadio extensions is only a modification to the iPhone side of the AppRadio. The communication between the head unit and the phone is very limited.

for the parking brake Idon't think a software method is good, you just enough in your appradio installation not connected the cable for parking break but to another mass, work perfectly !!!!

mikedecaro : if you need help i am here :) if you want, i can be beta tester.

a solution for total control iphone would be "the must" the possibility is by bluetooth or USB (should be have itunnel)

a possiblity to have an application available on the Appradio and with multitasking on another application in iPhone

Okay as soon as I installed 2.45 even with the new version of AppRadio extensions, my parking brake bypass would not work. So it's back to 2.22 for me. Mike I have the little 12v bypass, not an on/off switch.

Yea, I think the new firmware requires the switch to be in the off position for everything to work.

I take it back. Everything seems to work no matter what position the switch is in. No difference between 2.22 and 2.45 for me.

I also want to note that AppRadio Extensions does not modify the parking brake bypass in any way. There is no way to fix the parking brake issue from the iPhone. Maybe the guys over in the AppRadio Plus thread can figure out more with that.