AVIC411.com

Do i need pink & purple wire

Im getting a pioneer avic d3 with everthing but the antenna, disc, and the purple and pink wires, so i'll be needing them things soon and them wires if i have to have them in order for it to work right. Do i need them and what are they for? I know one of them wires is the speed sensor/vss wire, do i need to hook it up?

• 3 months later...

need?, no, the system will function fine with out the VSS wire or the reverse wire hooked up.

what are they for? the VSS wire tells the radio how fast the car is going even when the car is not receiving any GPS info, the reverse wire tells the radio when the car is shifted into reverse.

you will not be able to have a backup camera without the reverse wire connected.

I think the D3 is like the x series and the unit is 3D GPS and is always using the GPS, VSS/Backup wire signal plus accelerometer to do extremely accurate mapping. Look on here and you'll find people that didn't connect vss and backup wire saying the GPS isn't accurate which sorta makes sense if one of the signals is always saying the speed is 0.

Check with the guy, You most likely will have those short wires coming off the harness, but he's probably syaing it doesn't include the 15-20' of the purple wire w/ the resistor. I think the pink wire was optional as well.

I just reinstalled my AVIC-D3 in my new truck today. I got it installed in a shop the first time and he didn't give me the wire with it. Luckily my brother just traded his truck and I was able to take his purple wire for the back up camera.

I can't see why you wouldn't be able to just use a regular cable if you don't have the one with the resistor. I would get a 2nd opinion on that though.

Check with the guy, You most likely will have those short wires coming off the harness, but he's probably syaing it doesn't include the 15-20' of the purple wire w/ the resistor. I think the pink wire was optional as well.

a lot of people have bought radios used, and instead of getting the right harness for the nav, the seller gave them a harness for a regular radio, and while some may work, they are missing the extra pins for the nav wires basic radios dont have.

OP: however, if the seller does mean that he just does not have the long part of the wires after the quick disconect, but he does still have the short wires coming out of the back of the radio, then you will be fine, you can use any small gauge wire.