AVIC411.com

Why is my XM sound so unimpressive?

I have a GEX-P10XMT hooked up to an AVIC-D2 and the quality of my XM sound is far worse than FM. I thought it was digital? Shouldn't it sound better than FM? The sound is very flat and sounds like its coming out of a tin can. Also, I find that I have to turn the volume much higher to be at the same level as any FM station.

I have a simple explaination for this..

It's called compression...

In order to send/recieve Digital Data, it must be compressed, during the "send/recieve" part of it. When your unit "unzip's" or "decpomresses" your data many of the high's and lows will be left out, OR they get simplified(in 0's and 1's) to where the sound is inaudible...

This sounds exactly like a "tin can" or a "really bad mp3"...

A really bad mp3 has undergone the same compression scheme following the same principle I just explained... It's digital Audio, It's kinda how it works..

Looking ahead, these things should be figured out within the next year or so.. It's not a matter of "upping" the technology, it's just bandwidth issue.. The data you can send from the Satellite can only be so big, so they compress it to shrink it down....

Also, it it's like Sirius, I'm sure different stations use different bandwidth. For example talk radio doesn't need the high-quality, so it uses less bandwidth. The quality is probably somewhere between AM and FM. Music, on the other had, needs high quality and therefore uses more bandwidth.

It actually is completely different and uncomparable to AM or FM radio..

that is an analog signal being sent out at a certain frequncy, there is no bandwidth involved... Frequency Modulation (FM) and Amplitude Modulation(AM) is sending out a signal with a certain wavelength which corresponds to the Hertz (93.3, 89.9, 102.7)

Again, the digital signal is completely different and should be compared more to an internet connection than radio stations....

Compression to make the data smaller, so it can move faster and load quicker... There are different types of compression schemes that can be used, but, obviously Xm or Sirius, have not enough bandwidth to send larger "less" compressed data... they will with time though... remember 5-10 years ago when we were all on "Napster" downloading songs that would take a half an hour? kinda the same thing... Similiar principle

Again, the digital signal is completely different and should be compared more to an internet connection than radio stations....

At the end of the day, the singal reaching your ear is analog, so I don't think that comparing quality of standard radio vs satellite is that far fetched! :)