AVIC411.com

XM antenna mounted to dash-anyone do this?

• 3 weeks later...

I have my GPS and XM antennas mounted IN my dash (on steel strut the crosses over radio, so its only covered by the cars plastic radio/console trim), not visible at all. I do loose a lot of signal strength doing this, but with a convertible, I have few options.

Having the GPS mounted that way is less of a problem than the XM one, GPS can loose signal here and there and still keep you on course with the gyro and speed sense. The XM is more of a problem, basicly any other obstruction (big truck, tree, tall buildings, etc...) and it cuts out right away. I canceled my XM, not because of this, but mainly because I can carry 60gb of my own music with my ipod now, just wasnt using it as much as I used to.

If you have it visible in the window, I would imagine it would work decent (better than my IN dash mounted one).

• 5 weeks later...

it will totally depend on the car, newer and nicer cars have small amounts of tint in the glass that will cut down the signal, even if it does work, it may work fine in some areas but horrible in others (do to the amount of terrestrial repeaters in the area)

i would never recommend putting a sat antenna inside the car.

GPS antennas work much better inside the car because at any giving time you should be able to "see" up to 8 gps sats in the sky, and you only need three to give an accurate location. with XM radio, there is only two sats in the sky, one for each side of the country, so any loss in signal really effects reception.

• 4 months later...

XM only lost repecption going under a bridge or in deep canyons like Glenwood Canyon in Colorado or The Virgin River Gourge in Arizona with XM antenna on the dash. GPS would stop working and tell me I'm in downtown Los Angeles when I'm in Denver Colorado or South Orange County, California.