AVIC411.com

PAC SWI-PS and SWI-CAN on Audi with Pioneer AVH problems

Car: '03 Audi A4 with Bose, steering wheel controls. Radio: Pioneer AVH-P4200DVD.

I decided to add on the steering wheel controls, so purchased the PAC SWI-PS and SWI-CAN modules that are recommended for this purpose. I installed the modules, wired everything up properly, and eventually got it programmed. I had a HELL of a time getting it programmed properly. It would sporadically recognize the steering wheel inputs during program, sometimes registering them, sometimes not.

Eventually got it programmed, and it seemed to work fine (albeit with the engine running only).

Now, I'm noticing that the steering wheel controls are non-functional for the first 5 - 10 minutes that I'm using the car. Absolutely no response. Then, suddenly, they'll start working again, and continue to work until the car is shut down and restarted, then same thing happens.

So obviously everything's wired properly, because the controls work totally fine after they start working at all. In fact, if they worked like that all the time, I would sing the praises of this gizmo, as it's really quite nice having the SWI back. But not being able to use the steering wheel control for 5 - 10 minutes practically negates the purpose of the unit, since sometimes I'm not even in the car that long, and even if I am, it's anyone's guess as to when they'll start magically working again.

Any thoughts on this? Any similar experiences? I've contacted the company once by phone, and spoke to a gentleman who was, frankly, a complete a$$hole, and refused to acknowledge that anything could be wrong with the unit.

I may try and re-wire and re-program everything again, but this is time consuming and annoying!

• 1 year later...