AVIC411.com

The new interface is good but it doesn't let you see podcasts in your music library. You can manually play them by going through the iPod app on the phone but it doesn't show the track info of the podcast when you click the artwork on the AppRadio. Its a good start though and I hope that Pioneer will replace the crapy music app on the unit with one like this.

This is a great start. This needs to replace the existing interface.

Personally I feel like they should only include the Radio and Bluetooth by default, everything else should be an app and further more make it so we can put these apps on our home screen and not behind a menu. From there have it launch the appropriate app for what you are doing.

Well this is the way they should all work. I've been using it the last couple of days, it's smooth, intuitive, quick and I can easily navigate for the song, artist or playlist. I sent Pioneer an email and said this is how their whole platform should work.

I'll check on the way home, but that didn't seem to bother me. I could use my finger to move everything around as I would on my iPhone. It's much improved compared to their iPod interface.

Much agreed. I left a review on the App Store that stated they should make the App Radio work this way. I have a feeling that their iPod interface basically using the iPhone's own video-out mode, with buttons sandwiched around the sides. I don't have a video-out cable for my iPhone but I imagine that if I did, it would display exactly what appears in the AppRadio's "iPod" interface, only without the arrow buttons around the sides.

I would say that this is a backwards-compatibility issue, that they couldn't write a touch-enabled app that would run on an iPod classic, but iPod classic isn't supported with the AppRadio.

Maybe the guys who do AppRadio Jailbreak can chime in on how it works, but to me it seems that the CarMediaPlayer's touch interface is running on the iPhone, only using the AppRadio as a display and controller. Just based on how long it takes the App Radio to switch modes and update the display, I don't think the head unit has the processing power to run a smooth, swiping, finger friendly app like that.

So unfortunately I don't think we'll ever see the CarMediaPlayer app replace the stock iPod functionality.

I have a feeling that their iPod interface basically using the iPhone's own video-out mode, with buttons sandwiched around the sides.

I've found evidence in the operating system that supports this claim. The iPhone provides a "video" stream that is displayed in the center of the screen and it accepts events for each of the buttons on the left and right.

I left the review on the appstore telling that iPod Out interface is generated by iPhone itself. If you use a display out cable from the iPhone you don't get that interface. It's activated by a special command, or resistance in the cable. I don't know. The problem with CarMediaPlayer App is that isn't embedded in the iOS. iPod out can be always displayed. It doesn't matter what app you're running in the iPhone. While CarMediaPlayer needs to be running to send out video signal.

We need Apple to redesign the iPod Out interface, or Pioneer to add CarMediaPlayer App to the AppRadio firmware.

If you use a display out cable from the iPhone you don't get that interface. It's activated by a special command, or resistance in the cable. I don't know. The problem with CarMediaPlayer App is that isn't embedded in the iOS. iPod out can be always displayed. It doesn't matter what app you're running in the iPhone. While CarMediaPlayer needs to be running to send out video signal.

The radio tells the iPhone to launch an app called "iPodOut.app" located in /Applications on the device. It continuously runs in the background while the phone is plugged in. If you run it manually with a display out cable plugged in, you will see it on your TV.

We need Apple to redesign the iPod Out interface, or Pioneer to add CarMediaPlayer App to the AppRadio firmware.

They did this for the AppRadio 2. Hopefully we can hack the new firmware onto the older unit.