AVIC411.com

Pioneer Repair Service Concerns

Hi All

This is my first post here and I have a concern about Pioneer's Repair Service. On Jan 4, I delivered my avic-n1 to the service center in CA. I received it back on Jan 25. Upon opening the box, I found that it appeared to have been dropped and was broken. The box it returned in had no visible damage. Has anyone else sent there avic-n1 in for the flex cable repair and received it back broken. *I generated a case with Pioneer on Jan 26, but no call back as of this post. If you have experienced this problem, did Pioneer fix or replace the product.

Thanks

I'm having a problem w/ my N1 too. After receiving my N1 back from Pioneer for the flex cable upgrade and reinstalling it on my 4runner, I can't use my nav unit now. Everytime I try I putting on the nav disc, it keeps on stating on the screen that it is a disc error or something like that and it is not the right disk. Has anyone else got this problem? I just noticed it this Saturday after getting my car back from the audio shop I go to. Also, the guys at the shop told me that they can't bypass the N1 anymore where I won't be able to watch while driving anymore. That's no biggie to me, but my real gripe is that my passenger might not be able to change the destinations on the nav unit while I'm driving and that means that I'll have to pull over and park the vehicle and change my destination instead of being able to do it while driving.

Did they put a newer version of navigation software in it for you? If they did, the old bypass is different and your unit will need some modification

I don't know. All I sent out was the head unit. I thought the brain unit was left in the vehicle, but then again, I'm not very familiar w/ the workings of nav units or any type of audio equipment in general. I'm gonna try to contact Pioneer today and find out what they did and see if they did upgrade my N1 to the newer version, and if that's the case see if they can at least give me a new nav dvd since I didn't ask for it to be upgraded (yeah, I know, fat chance of that ever happening).

Do you know by chance on how to bypass this or is there a thread on here on how to bypass it?

I just recently called this morning and they did the same thing w/ me by generating a report and the service rep said that someone will call me w/in 3-5 business days to talk w/ me about trying to get my N1 fixed. I want them to pay for it since I think that they upgraded the system w/out my knowledge or they broke something while fixing the flex cable problem. The service rep said that it was gonna cost me around $200 and that's not including the shipping I have to pay for. The service rep who was a lady was being a bitch and kept on insisting that Pioneer didn't have anything to do w/ the nav part and I kept telling her that everything was working fine before the flex cable went out on me. Damn, Pioneer's service center sucks.

I just recently received a letter from Pioneer concerning the report they filed on my Avic N1.

Here it is:

Dear Mr. BLANK:

Thank you for contacting us about your Pioneer product. We are sorry to hear of the problem that you have encountered.

Your request has been carefully reviewed, and we do understand your point of view. Within the terms of our Limited Warranty, Pioneer will pay for Navigation repairs required due to a manufacturing defect during a period of one year from the product's documented date of purchase. It is our intention to be fair to all of our customers while honoring the terms of this warranty.

The serial number on your AVICN1 indicates that it was manufactured in 5/2004. Without proof of purchase verifying that this product is currently covered under our Limited Warranty, we must regretfully deny your request for assistance with the cost of repairs that may now be needed on the unit.

While Pioneer is unable to assist you in this matter, we do value your continued business. If you have any questions, please contact me at (800) xxx-xxxx Monday through Friday between the hours of 6:00 AM and 4:30 PM PST.

Sincerely,

xxxxxxxx

Customer Service Representative

Damn Pioneer. Everything was working fine before the flex cable went out, now I can't even use my nav unit anymore. I'm pretty sure that they upgraded my unit, but I have no proof. And I sure as hell don't want to buy a new nav dvd and if I try to download the new dvd, I don't know if it's the 60 series or the new 70 one. But you bet I'll be calling in at 6 Monday morning to bitch about it to this guy. Damn I hate Pioneer's service. Their no help. My audio installer was right. Their not very helpful at all.

I took my N1 into Pioneer on Friday and the lady there said 1 week for sure, then the dude on the phone today said that nothing will happen before 2 weeks... I'm afraid to call again and have the next person extend that to 3 weeks... I honestly wish they would just give me the ribbon cable, and I could have my AVIC back in working order within the hours... :roll:

I took my N1 into Pioneer on Friday and the lady there said 1 week for sure, then the dude on the phone today said that nothing will happen before 2 weeks... I'm afraid to call again and have the next person extend that to 3 weeks... I honestly wish they would just give me the ribbon cable, and I could have my AVIC back in working order within the hours... :roll:

Just be careful though, when I turned in my N1 to Pioneer to fix the flex cable and when I received it again w/in two weeks and after getting it reinstalled, I noticed that I couldn't play the old 40 disk nav dvd. Also, my audio installer couldn't bypass the N1 anymore where I could either play a movie or change addresses on the navigation w/out parking the car first. I finally talked to my installer again to see if he remembers me sending out the brain along w/ the head unit and he confirmed that I did send it out. Also, I was able to borrow the current 60 nav disk and I tried it on my N1 and guess what, it freakin' works. So they did update my N1 w/out notifying me, and when I talked to the people at Pioneer voicing my concern w/ the N1 not being able to read my old disk and stating to them that they may have updated the unit, the lady told me that they didn't touch it and the only thing they touched was the unit itself to fix the flex cable. So now, I'm going to have to call Pioneer again tomorrow and talk to them again concerning my findings.

Hope this helps. Also, where did you send it to? To the one in Long Beach or the one that handles it in the East Coast, which I heard was in Ohio I think.