AVIC411.com

Own the x910bt considering the x940bt

I never owned the AVIC series before but I can say it is a nice upgrade for me. Its quite fast and the navi software is awesome. The "coolest" thing is the app radio! I've never seen another radio other than pioneer with my iphone apps.

Basically same thing as the x930bt, but with navteq, and appradio!

i found a really good review!

If you like the nav in the 910 you will be sorely disappointed with any of the new units. Contradictory to the above post (although his opinion is respected) these units have the worst navi on the market. Most of everything else is an upgrade however. I would suggest trying to get an X920BT so you can have voice control for navi and audio search/selection. You can always upgrade the software to the current unit without loosing your voice control. Pioneer removed VC with the 930 and all subsequent units for this year.

If you like the nav in the 910 you will be sorely disappointed with any of the new units.

I've recently installed the 940 and am happy with the navigation software. Although I've not previously owned an AVIC product, I find it comparable to or better than the factory navigation units on my other vehicles. I'm not questioning your judgement as I have no other Pioneer models to compare too. However, could you be more specific as to why you consider it to be inferior?

I have detailed the short comings on this forum before but this is also the consensus by many members on this forum and others. Compared to other aftermarket and even some factory nav units the navi software present in these units is the worst. Honestly if you have no basis of comparison and feel this unit meets your needs then thats all that really matters to you. My comments were to the other poster that does have a basis of comparison as he currently owns an X910 which uses one of the best navi softwares available on the market.

factory navs are usually rubbish and a pain in the ass to use, so for the 940 to be as good as one of those is not all that great.

not having the previous years model to compare it to will of course not show how bad it really is (and for the record, last years model was not a home run either)

if your happy with it, then good, thats all that matters, just dont try to use somebody elses as it will put it into prospective for you.

He also made several claims of features that are actually wrong. 20+ years of install experience is one thing but people that have been on this forum that have reviewed and have extensive experience with most navis released sense 2006 are another.

I have detailed the short comings on this forum before but this is also the consensus by many members on this forum and others. Compared to other aftermarket and even some factory nav units the navi software present in these units is the worst.

You are right most factory nav units seem to be poorly designed. One exception that seems to stand out is Infiniti.

Regarding the nav software of the 940 compared to the 910, I was surprised to find out that voice recognition is not included. Otherwise, It seems ok. I don't mean to hijack the OP's thread here. Can you point me to your (or others) write-up on the nav differences? I'd like to get more information why everyone seems to think this is a step back from the 910. Thanks!

I am going to disagree with VBlue completely. I have a Rand McNally Nav system I used to keep in the glove box and the Pioneer is better than that (slightly). To be honest I would stay with the 910 you won't see much of an upgrade unless your maps are way out of date on the 910. I am not going to go through the hassle of looking to see if there are updated maps for the 910. If you get the 940 you will realize that the nav system is fine if you have an iPhone and use it to punch in your destinations. Avic Feeds is the only reason I probably still have my 920. It makes the nav tolerable. I have seen VBlue touting voice control before and to be honest I just don't get it. I used it like 4 times and haven't used in 2 years. I would rather have the dual zones of the 930 and 940. That being said few in these forums know more about these units then VBlue.

Here is me trying to figure out which radio to install

I will say the navi in these units is usable and will get you where you want to go. But take a look at the thread below to see some of the short comings of these units. Although this thread refers to the Z110, all units released sense then including the Z120,130, X920,930, and even the Z140 share nearly identical hardware and same software as the 110 released over three years ago now. The biggest difference obviously being the switch to Navteq maps may improve these units a little but not enough for me. I will admit that I am a bit spoiled in that I have extensive experience with every Pioneer and Kenwood navi sense 2006 and have owned them all up to the Z120. But comparing all models that I have used, the navi in these units is the worst.

http://www.kenwoodforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=897