AVIC411.com

I got my x940bt installed in my Mercedes C230 at the local Best Buy - I know, not the best place but I figured it was a straight forward install. I had them install an inexpensive rearview camera, the Metra Axxess steering wheel controls, and Scosche VW03B wire harness.

Of course it's still not wired up completely as there are several functions that are not accessable (greyed out) and the steering wheel controls don't work. I believe at least part of the problem is with the green ground wire. When that was firmly attached, all the functions looked available.

However, what is concerning me right now is that I get static when listening to FM (that's all I've listened to so far). It isn't constant, it's more like snaps and pops that occur at random intervals. It also seems to happen mostly when I'm driving. Sometimes it will go for several minutes without any static and sometimes, it is more frequent. Going under overpasses SEEMS to make it worse, but I'm not sure.

Does anybody out there have any ideas about what could cause this?

Thanks!

Uh... You lost me. Are you sure you posted to the right forum? :shock:

(So you're not confused and think I'm more daft than I really am, the post I was replying to was deleted - presumably because it had no relationship to the subject matter of the thread)

Edited by ncmudbug

55 views and no ideas??!!

Update: I took my car back to Best Buy where I found out that the reason the functions weren't available was because I didn't have my e-brake set (I have to do the by pass soon!). He also replaced my antenna adapter (since the static - really more of an asynchronous snapping/popping - only seems to happen on FM, not CD or AM, and also seems to only occur while I'm driving).

That has had no effect.

I emailed Pioneer:

Inquiry:I am getting static (occasional and random pops and snaps. sometimes they seem to be more common when going under an overpass) when listening to my X940BT in my 2005 Mercedes C230. This only happens when listening to FM radio. It does not happen when listening to AM or CDs. I haven't tried other audio sources yet. I have only heard it while I'm driving. The installer used a Metra 40-EU10 antenna adapter.

What can cause this and what can be done to fix this?

Their reply:

If possible, the installer can try an external antenna that does not require an adapter to see if the issue continues. This will narrow down if the issue is with the adapter or the unit.

I replied back:

Are these the only two likely reasons for the problem? The installer has

changed out adapter once. One person mentioned that the power to the

antenna may not be properly secure. If that is the case would that

affect AM reception?

Their reply:

You may not get reception if your car uses a power antenna and the blue/white wire is not connected to the auto antenna relay.

I'm not sure I know a whole lot more than before - though I haven't tried an alternate antenna. I didn't buy it from an "authorized dealer" so I'm not sure they will honor their warranty even though I registered it. Does anybody have any knowledge about that?

• 5 months later...

I have the same issue - I live in the middle of the city so I know I have a strong signal. *some* FM stations (and AM from what I can tell) have so much static I can''t listen to them including my favorite station. I did the install myself and I soldered all connections per the wiring schematics so I'm lost on this. I suppose it's possible that the blue/white power antenna cable is the culprit. I reaaalllllly don't want to pull the dash back apart...

Interesting, DanimalKing. I started checking other stations and listened to my uSD and never heard it in those situations. I even got my installer (BestBuy) to give me a new antenna adapter when they were doing something else on the car. I finally decided that it was something with that radio station and not my Pioneer. In fact, most days it seems gone (or have I just tuned it out?).

FWIW, it wasn't really static, it was more like pops and snaps. It sounds like your problem may be something else.

Good luck to you!