AVIC411.com

Hey all,

Last week I purchased and install the new Pioneer Appradio 2. I will start by saying I have very high hopes for this unit but at this time it is horrible. I'm hoping other owners will confirm that i'm not the only one that has these problems.

Car:

2011 SUBARU WRX

Phone:

Droid Raxr

iphone 4s

Issues:

1. Screen will go black from time to time. Usually while listening to pandora and driving. Just goes black, music still plays. If I hit the volume the volume will display in the top left of the screen. This happens randomly and often.

2. Music constantly stops playing from time to time for a second or 2 when navigating the UI. Example: Listening to Pandora, switch from hope screen to pandora the music stops for about 2 seconds, then resumes. This doesn't always happen but I'd say 50% or the time it does.

3. When using the iphone 4s most apps do not display on the screen when I try and use them. They display on the phone but the screen of the appradio stays black.

Annoyances

1. Always need to access the phone to do almost anything. (always asks for permission)

2. Constant safety pop ups. (over and over again)

More to be added to this list,

Please let me and the rest of this forum know if you are experiencing any problems. I already have a email into Pioneer.

Here is a video with some commentary, I'm not good at doing reviews or videos but this should give some idea of the problems I'm having and my frustration.

3. Only apps that are video out cable will work with this unit. Most apps dont have this capability.

Also you shouldn't be surprised this unit has issues. This is nothing new with Pioneer units. The last version was also plagued with issues. They will likely eventually get it right but it will probably not be until the third or fourth unit is released. You should probably return this thing before its to late. Good luck to you however.

1. Screen will go black from time to time. Usually while listening to pandora and driving. Just goes black, music still plays. If I hit the volume the volume will display in the top left of the screen. This happens randomly and often.

My AppRadio 1 does this. Never noticed it before until I took a two hour drive yesterday. Maybe a recent update to the Pandora app screwed things up.

steve sorry to see that app 2 bugs too :(

i saw your comment in my youtube channel....that made me angry and i answerd some good words to pioneer....(telling them what they can do with this unit.....i stay polite here :) )

• 2 weeks later...

I don't have nearly the issues that the video review showed, maybe the iPhone software has been updated since that review and works better now.

I do get the blank screen sometimes but it only lasts about 2 seconds and then comes back on, but I believe that is an iPhone issue more than that appradio. I have not tested Pandora because I am in Canada and it isn't available here (can't even download the app). I do agree that the phone constantly asking you if you if you want to launch the app is annoying, but then again that's an iPhone issue, if you are going to be in iPhone owner you will have to deal with annoying things like that since Apple always knows best and the owner of the phone knows nothing. (actually true with most iPhone owners)

I am going to try it out with my Galaxy S2 this evening and see how well it works, I believe it should work better since Android can multitask properly instead of the handicapped method of multitasking that iOS uses (the reason why my route guidance disappears when I switch from one navigation to another app and have to re-enter the destination in Navfree)

I figured how to make it work much better, I connected my Android device, what a huge Improvement so far.

The CarMedia player is better, using Waze for navigation is awesome, you can speak your destination, photos look much better, not washed out like the iPhone (I suspect a bad cable) and absolutely everything from the phone screen is mirrored onto the appradio screen (not everything responds to touch though)

I wish there were more apps and hope that google adds google nav support but for now I can still manually launch Google nav and it appears on the screen and the voice guidance comes through the car speakers :-)

When the phone rang the picture from my contact list appeared on the dash screen.

I was considering returning it but I am very happy with it now.