AVIC411.com

AppRadio 2 - How good is it for Android Navigation?

Hello All

I recently learned about the AppRadio 2. I have a Droid 3 android phone (Verizon, US). I am looking into this phone primarily to use google maps on the bigger screen.

The droid3 is not listed as a compatible phone, but it does have HDMI out. Google navigation is not listed as a compatible app, but WAZE is.

http://avic411.com/i...__fromsearch__1

1) My phone is not listed as compatible. Do you think that will cause any problems? Are any of you sucessfully using unsupported phones?

2) I tried WAZE a while back, and did not like it. What are your feeling on WAZE when used through the AppRadio? Are there any other Nav apps that work that people like?

3) I have tried using google navigation at home to my TV via HDMI. It works. Can the AppRadio be used as an HDMI monitor?

4) The unit has its own GPS antaenna. How does that connect to the phone? Is it via bluetooth? How well does it work?

I am super psyched about the phone, but I am afraid that it will be a huge letdown. Any feedback from android owners would be majorly appreciated.

Thanks.

-K

• 4 weeks later...

1)I have a phone that is technically not supported, Galaxy S2 with Android 4.03 ICS and it works perfectly fine

2) I have been using Waze for about a year and it works very well with the AppRadio 2, it's nice because it tells you more than just how to get somewhere it also warns of traffic hazards, police and photo enforcement.

3) I have used Google Nav with the AppRadio 2, it works just like it does when hooked up to a TV, you have to input everything from the phone but it displays on the AppRadio2

4) I believe the GPS connects via the bluetooth connection as it uses a serial bluetooth connection and Android is capable of using external bluetooth GPS devices but I can't say for sure as when I drive my phone is always attached to a mount on my windshield.

The built-in app isn't good. Most of the screen is taken up by the From/To address bars, the zoom buttons, etc. You have to constantly hit the 'center' button whenever you tap anything on the screen. Forget about looking up a contact to retreive their address; it'll hang and crap out on you.

Pioneer really needs to hire some good Android programmers to fix all their apps - IMHO...