AVIC411.com

AppRadio 2 HDMI Video Input?

I was looking at the manual for the AppRadio 2 Android interface cable (pdf link here) and noticed that the input was a regular HDMI A type connector. Has anyone experimented plugging in other devices and seeing if they get video input to the AppRadio? I would love to be able to use an AppRadio as an external monitor for my laptop. It would also be a point of interest to carpc people as decent double din sized monitors are still quite expensive.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Take a look at the install PDF for the Pioneer CD-AH200C which is the AppRadio2 - to - Android phone connecter kit. If your phone has an HDMI "D" port, you can run straight to the headunit with a HDMI "D" to HDMI "A" cable.

The issue I have with the kit is that it's $100. I have a HDMI cable and all I need is the MHL adapter for my phone.

You still have to plug in a micro USB power source to the MHL adaptor, I just used a CLA and plugged it in and just like you I don't get enough power to charge the phone, I may try plugging into the USB plug on the 30 pin Apple cable since it seems to almost overcharge the iPhone it may put out more power.

I am surprised that the actual Pioneer kit does not provide enough power to charge the phone though considering the premium price they charge.

I am surprised that the actual Pioneer kit does not provide enough power to charge the phone though considering the premium price they charge.

It also appears that when the phone goes into power save mode, it won't connect to the radio :(

SUCK

I have no idea how pioneer justifies charging so much for a what amounts to a charger and MHL cable. And a charger that doesn't even work well. IMO If you're going android, go with your own MHL Cable and a cigarette lighter charger hidden inside the console using this from radioshack. http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3896268# Should cost you less than 30 bucks, and your phone will actually charge in your car.

Shame Pioneer did this. My iphone actually charges very nicely with my AppRadio.

My iPhone charges too, soo well that the phone gets super hot as others have mentioned In another thread in this forum, that is why I was thinking of connectin my Android via USB to the port in the IPhone 30 pin connector, seems like it puts out a fair bit of power. I am also thinking of getting a CLA that puts out enough current to charge a tablet, they usually output 2A, if that doesn't work then the fault is with the MHL adaptor.

The problem I have is that with the EVO 3d, the MHL port provides both power and HDMI. The Pioneer connector connects both the HDMI output from the radio and the AC power from the transformer and sends everything through one cable to the phone. Since the transformer comes with a 1A fuse, you'd think it woulud be close to it - but noooo . . . .