AVIC411.com

AVH-p8400bh touchscreen not responding intermittently

is anyone experiencing issues with the avh-p8400bh and the touch screen not respond to touch intermittently? this happens to me atleast once a week where i cannot change anything on touch screen no matter what source it is on. There isnt any specific way for me to make it happen. i can drive for 2 hours in the trucks and its fine. other times on way home from work (30 minute drive) it will freeze. The only fix so far has been to turn off my truck and back on and back to normal. i called pioneer and they asked if I had a wired remote (for steering wheels controls) which i do and they said to look at it and possibly reprogram or use a different steering wheel control module.

i haven't investigated this yet but will look into it soon.

I've had AVH 8400 about 3 weeks and it has been error free. However, the remote steering wheel controls did give me a lot of funky behavior when I first tried to wire them in. I would pull the controls and run the unit for a couple days to rule the controls out. I would want to know if the unit itself was buggy in order to get that replaced.

I am experiencing the same exact issue you are. I have the AVH-P8400BH wired to the Axxess ASWC in my 07 Civic. I have had all installed since first week of April. It freezes intermittently, but seems to be becoming more frequent as time goes on. When it freezes, the steering wheel controls, buttons on the HU, and remote control continue to work, only the touchscreen becomes disabled. The only way I can reset it is by cutting all power to the HU by turning off my car and restarting. I haven't tried calling Pioneer yet, but if it continues, and I dont find a solution, I will be calling Crutchfield for a replacement. Be sure to

post an update if you try your HU without the steering wheel controls. I will try calling Pioneer and Crutchfield to see if they have any additional

information.

For most of the screen issues I have read or heard about, they seem related to the steering wheel controls. For Ford vehicles and Pioneer HU I went through two SW control products, Axxess ASWC and PAC SWI-PS. I ended up using PAC in my Ford Excursion and I have had no issues with anything once I had it installed and programmed correctly. I know it's a PITA, but I would pull the SW controls if my HU was not working correctly just to know.

• 1 month later...

I am also experiencing this problem. I have the PAC SWI-PS installed in a 2012 Jeep Wrangler. All of the hardware buttons on the head unit and steering wheel controls continue to function once the touchscreen stops responding which is odd. I have disconnected PAC SWI-PS and the touchscreen will still lockup until I turn off the vehicle and turn it back on. The thing is that the touchscreen doesn't really stop responding from what I have found. Try the following:

Hold down the source button until you turn off the device and it goes in to the demo mode.

Tap the screen. You should hear a beep and the demo mode goes away.

The other functions do not work from the main menu (if you want to call it that) but it does respond to the touch on the demo screen so it's still working it's just stops responding on other views.

Anyone else have similar results? The same PAC SWI didn't cause any issues with my prior stereo.

• 2 weeks later...

Sent out to service and no problems were found. SMH I put back in my trucka nd just waiting for it to happen again to get it swapped out at audio shop.

I am pretty sure its just a software glitch, a firmware update will resolve this and I have no doubt about it. Its not the HU.

I am pretty sure its just a software glitch, a firmware update will resolve this and I have no doubt about it. Its not the HU.

I am on my third unit now. Same problems on two of them, the second one was DOA out of the box, bad screen. I got my first one in May, went a while without crapping out. Then would do it a lot. So I sent it back to the guy on Amazon.

The second one had a big grey band of pixels on it. Sent it back.

The third one went in on Monday, and it froze tonight! WTF Pioneer!! I called them last week and they said there are no issues of the AVH8400BH freezing up. The guy I bought from said his contact there said they do have problems. Pioneers answer is to send it to a repair shop, and then for it to come back and freeze again.

I agree though, it has to be a software problem. However why will they not fix it, or admit?

Just registered to reply to this, I also have the screen freezing problem, it has happened 3 times in the last month, called pioneer canada and the tech guy said this behaviour would not be a firmware problem, that it hardware, possibly a solder joint, I explained to him that you can cycle the power and it will return to normal and that also you you shut the screen of with the mode button and touch the screen it will come back on, showing that the screen is fine, but the soft keys won't work. I really don't want to disassemble the dash and loose it for a while, if it's just software related.

The guy posting on NASIOC claims to be an installer in Canada, and said the local rep gave him an update for the screen, however he claimed to be sending it to anyone who pm'd him, might be a troll.....

I will take mine to the local service shop next week, and hopefully they can fix it.....

• 8 months later...

hi guys, how ya doing.. I have 2 head units one in my 1998 Lincoln Mark VIII and I installed one in my 2001 ford F150 Supercrew.. The one I installed in the Mark VIII back in November I haven't had any problems with the system screen freezing.. But the truck I installed a week ago and already have had the screen freeze every time, mainly when using the Iphone/Ipod and skipping songs... Nothing is different, have both updated the Bluetooth software, the only thing that is different is that on the f150 I bought a cable that was not an pioneer specific oem cd-iu201s... the Lincoln has the oem cable the truck doesn't that is the only difference between the two.. I had an aftermarket cable on the F150 that plugged into the head unit and works the same.. but I'm starting to think this cable is causing this malfunction on my truck.. so I was curious to know the ones that are having this issue do you have the oem cable or an aftermarket cable.. Also, I have no steering wheel controls in either vehicle.. So, I would really like to know if anyone else has the oem cable or the aftermarket.. I also have the brake bypass on both units.. the same one for each.. Maybe this helps.. but that is the only difference between my two units that i have noticed..

thanks guys