AVIC411.com

AVH-p8400bh touchscreen not responding intermittently

I have had my 8400bh for a little over a month now and had this issue twice. The problem I am having with it now is while my iPod is connected, it's giving me a "STOP" message on the screen. No album info, artwork, nothing. Can't control my iPod from the HU, I have to do everything straight from the iPod. Anybody else ever have this problem? I'm wondering if it has something to do with the HU itself or if it has to do with the iPod adapter cable? It has been like this for a few days now. Also, if I change from iPod, to say..Radio, I can still hear what the iPod is playing and I can also hear the radio. 

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

I got the 8400 last summer, had the freezing issue right away, swapped 2x and all had the same issue. Called Pioneer and was told to send in, since I didn't wanna go without a radio all summer i declined. Stored car for winter, just took it out and after a couple of weeks freeze started, specially seems to happen when i open the top of my convertible. Funny thing also is that touchscreen was frozen but when i swapped to gps, touchscreen seemed to work.. Recently had the firmware upgraded via bluetooth, no change in touchscreen freeze.

I'm out of ideas, considering i paid good money for this unit, i find it dissapointing that Pioneer is not doing anything to resolve this common issue :(

I returned my third unit to Pioneer after the local repair center had it for two months last fall and a month this spring.  They replaced it with the 8500 and it has no issues so far.  It is critical to get in contact with them before your warranty expires.

When the outside temps are over 75F, mine would lock up.  Anything under that, fine.  I assume the direct sunlight and heat affect some of the units.  It is a great unit, when it works.

The local shop done the update and it did not work, they would put a hair dryer on it to get it to fail.  

Try talking to Nicole Johnson at Pioneer, she took care of me.

Just noticed the green "dial" button when calling someone from the phonebook doesn't work after firmware update :( the 8400 is buggy at best and i really appreciate your provided information.

I returned my third unit to Pioneer after the local repair center had it for two months last fall and a month this spring.  They replaced it with the 8500 and it has no issues so far.  It is critical to get in contact with them before your warranty expires.

When the outside temps are over 75F, mine would lock up.  Anything under that, fine.  I assume the direct sunlight and heat affect some of the units.  It is a great unit, when it works.

The local shop done the update and it did not work, they would put a hair dryer on it to get it to fail.  

Just noticed the green "dial" button when calling someone from the phonebook doesn't work after firmware update :( the 8400 is buggy at best and i really appreciate your provided information.

Works fine for me. The 8400 is an amazing unit, you just got stuck with a dud.

• 2 weeks later...

I just found this forum while searching for the same issue. Mine works as long as the outside temp is below 80 but anything higher causes the touch screen to stop working like the others. I bought my AVH-P8400BH in April 2013 and had it about a month and it worked great until the summer heat hit. Crutchfield is still making suggestions to me such as making sure the screws that hold the unit to the DIN adaptor aren't shorting out the board on the inside of the HU. After reading this, I'm inclined to get a refund since I'm still within Crutchfield's 60 day return policy.

My setup:

Not using W/R port for Steering wheel controls.

I have the phone MIC, antenna, CD-IU201S cable and USB cable plugged into the back of HU.

64 gig USB thumbdrive attached to USB cable normally plugged into the CD-IU201S cable. I do not have an Ipod or Iphone plugged in to the CD-IU201S cable.