AVIC411.com

Honda Civic iPad Install 2.0

Over the last year as I have moved beyond what I see as a lack of innovation and ability for head unit manufactures to develop head units without serious software flaws and useless features obviously geared towards very young and impressionable customers through flashy marketing. These manufacturers including Pioneer seem to ignore what people really want and continue to not only release rehashes of the same unit for years but to also add in things like social networking and Eco Route while not addressing issues with BT handsfree sound quality, a good navi software package and improvements on features like voice control now required in some states by law. Both Pioneer and Kenwood have now removed voice control for the most part from their new 2012 units entirely after offing it for the last few years. Because of these personal frustrations I set out to develop a system of my own using many available car audio components and an Apple iPad. After living with this system for a year now I can say that I have no limitations for my needs and this video is to demonstrate what I have developed and in the hope to inspire others to take ideas from here and to further integrate tablet devices into car audio as an alternative to the lack of innovation seen by todays head unit manufactures.

• 4 weeks later...

You talk all this trash about pioneer and this is your setup?? Sorry to bust your bubble but that looks like jury rigged ass. From the crap case to the clipped on ghetto steering wheel controls...you are really going to compare this to a z140 install that looks stock? Ever had a girl in that car??

Hmm, ok. The point is to have a a system the performs. Its not designed to win beauty contest its designed to work and it works much better then any head unit system. That being said your assessment on it being jerry rigged is way off. You really should see it in person. I am actually on my fifth build for other people that want this in their cars and they are all being built this way. But regardless we are all entitled to our opinions and the only one that matters is mine.

• 5 weeks later...

Once the nexus7 and the surface RT come out, playbooks will drop in price and their 7" factor will be able to integrate into car dashes much better. Good idea on the vent scoops though.

Although that massive display will for sure get you pulled over a lot easier if you live in an area that doesn't allow monitors while driving.

I have a z2 and find its not doing enough anymore and decided the iPad route like you. I love it.

I have the wifi new iPad so it doesn't have gps chip built in.i had to jailbreak to use an external Bluetooth tomtom gps and it works great. I bought navigon and it works well too. But imam trying to figure out voice control. I installed from cydia iPad voice-enable but can't seem to get it to offer me voice control. I enabled voice control under the winterboard settings. You wouldn't have any idea how in can get the voice control it to work. Pressing home button doesn't offer voice control for me after installing and respringing.

I also use tetherme to get Internet while driving for the traffic updates.

Jail broke absinthe

Latest firmware

Installed ipad voice-control

I use a cup holder bracket to hold my iPad for now until I can get it all working the way I want. Then I'll do a more permanent install.