AVIC411.com

AVIC Z140BH: Report your bugs here.

I'm glad you like it.

My cellphone has a better GUI IMO.....and it was much cheaper and just as capable.

Although I agree that head units are overpriced in principle, I think you are overlooking key differences by making that statement. Even assuming you bought your phone at full price instead of subsidized through a carrier, production volume plays a big part in the prices, for example.
  • Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm glad you like it.

My cellphone has a better GUI IMO.....and it was much cheaper and just as capable.

You cannot compare Cell Phones to car electronics. OEM Car Electronics have a development cycle of 5 years, aftermerket while quicker is still 2-3 years. A Cell Phone GUI can be changed in under 6 months.

The reason it's cheaper and why development is faster is because under extreme conditions it's not as capable. Can your Cell Phone sit in a car for extended periods of time at -40 degrees or 120 degrees (or higher) and still function? Can it go thru this cycle on a regular basis?

This is the same reason it takes 10 years to design a new plane. The more complex the system, the more extreme conditions it will be in the higher the cost and the longer the lead time.

And no, you just can't "pretty up" a GUI on existing hardware since most of the nicer features require fancy new chips. For example run iOS 4 on an iPhone 3G, unacceptably slow; then on an iPhone 4, perfectly fine.

Although I agree that head units are overpriced in principle, I think you are overlooking key differences by making that statement. Even assuming you bought your phone at full price instead of subsidized through a carrier, production volume plays a big part in the prices, for example.

I actually bought my phone outright,no term plan.

You cannot compare Cell Phones to car electronics. OEM Car Electronics have a development cycle of 5 years, aftermerket while quicker is still 2-3 years. A Cell Phone GUI can be changed in under 6 months.

The reason it's cheaper and why development is faster is because under extreme conditions it's not as capable. Can your Cell Phone sit in a car for extended periods of time at -40 degrees or 120 degrees (or higher) and still function? Can it go thru this cycle on a regular basis?

This is the same reason it takes 10 years to design a new plane. The more complex the system, the more extreme conditions it will be in the higher the cost and the longer the lead time.

And no, you just can't "pretty up" a GUI on existing hardware since most of the nicer features require fancy new chips. For example run iOS 4 on an iPhone 3G, unacceptably slow; then on an iPhone 4, perfectly fine.

OEM car electronics take how long?

You sure about that?

I know some automotive engineers who work for the big three.

As to leaving it in the car under "extreme conditions",why?

If I could unplug it and take it with me,why not?

I think I read on this board where a guy uses an IPad for a killer car stereo.

This is a lot different than "designing a plane".

They've had a few previous iterations of this unit to perfect the operating system/GUI and this is what we got?

I seem to remember seeing a vid' on YouTube where a guy actually put a later version of IOS on a 3G and it ran perfectly well,albeit a tad slower...but not by much.

OEM car electronics take how long?

You sure about that?

I know some automotive engineers who work for the big three.

As to leaving it in the car under "extreme conditions",why?

If I could unplug it and take it with me,why not?

I think I read on this board where a guy uses an IPad for a killer car stereo.

This is a lot different than "designing a plane".

They've had a few previous iterations of this unit to perfect the operating system/GUI and this is what we got?

I seem to remember seeing a vid' on YouTube where a guy actually put a later version of IOS on a 3G and it ran perfectly well,albeit a tad slower...but not by much.

I work in Automotive. Products are designed typically with a 5 year lead time. We are already designing stuff for 2016 cars today. 2017's will start this fall.

Regardless comparing anything automotive to a personal electronic is unfair. The personal electronic doesn't have to meet the same tests, has a shorter development cycle and typically is replaced faster (and therefore doesn't have to last as long).

I work in Automotive. Products are designed typically with a 5 year lead time. We are already designing stuff for 2016 cars today. 2017's will start this fall.

Regardless comparing anything automotive to a personal electronic is unfair. The personal electronic doesn't have to meet the same tests, has a shorter development cycle and typically is replaced faster (and therefore doesn't have to last as long).

TBH,I don't dislike what the unit *appears* to be capable of doing.

I just think they tried to cover too many bases with the firmware.

If I could remove the Apple functionality from it,I would.

That should be optional.

I also want to root my Sensation and get rid of all the spyware [location tracking garbage].

It just loads the phone down,but that's another story.

You can always use the negative threads on forums like these to encourage them to help. For as much money as they charge (and make!) for each head unit there should be very few problems. Bad publicity can go a long way!

Update?

Sofar Pioneer Canada does NOT want to do anything beyond the standard Warranty. I have to take it out and ship it at my expense. I am NOT Happy about this. Waste of money and lack of customer service!

• 3 weeks later...

I'm still not clear as to why it is necessary to click through the Navigation warning when going to the Home screen.

Please, gents, I don't want this thread to turn into a battle amongst ourselves. That is most certainly not my intent. If my language reads confrontational, please imagine it as being directed at the programmers, and not you.

I'll try to keep my tone a bit more civil, but my frustration with this is going to continue.

By design or not, this is still a stupid way to program the unit. I should only be forced to read the nanny screen when going to the Navi screen, end of story. Perhaps we don't call it a bug then. Let's just call it programmed stupidity and be done with it.

It is necessary because you are switiching to functions that take your eyes off the road for a longer period of time than Skip\Play\Pause. The HOME SCREEN options you are trying to get to are Navigation, Cell Phone, AV Source, and Settings. It is not a before you see the map Warning, it is a you are about to take your eyes off the road to setup something on the radio screen, this is stated in the second and third sentences

("Navi is not a substitute for your attentiveness, judgement, and care while driving or moving your vehicle. Always observe safe driving rules and driving laws, and follow road signs even if they contradict Navi's instructions.")

So it is not a bug and is done on purpose as stated before, I'm just trying to help you understand (not like) why. :mrgreen: But in BMW, Mercedes, Chevy, Ford, etc. you have a similar screen that pops up EVERY time so why is this such a surprise?

But I do agree if you push the HOME button you should see the HOME screen after the warning not the map. Mode should take you to the map, you know how it does AFTER you press HOME. :?:

TBH,I don't dislike what the unit *appears* to be capable of doing.

I just think they tried to cover too many bases with the firmware.

If I could remove the Apple functionality from it,I would.

That should be optional.

I also want to root my Sensation and get rid of all the spyware [location tracking garbage].

It just loads the phone down,but that's another story.

I agree with you wholeheartedly on that one...the Apple interface would be the first thing I would remove from this unit...and if possible, I'd have it replaced with a similar interface for Android instead.

I'm glad you like it.

Better GUI....I guess

No RCA pre outputs

No car speaker intergration

Smaller Screen

Low Quality Sound Output

Battery Life Concerns

Incoming Calls interrupt ALL playback

No presets

No RDS

Cannot Play DVD's

You pay for XM AND a higher data plan

There may be a way to add some of these features to a cell phone but by the time you do the extra equipment cost is close to or more than the radio, plus too many wires. Different products receive different attention depending on their markets. There are greater changes made to TV's year by year than to the Blu-Ray players, so you cannot compare the two. The same goes for car stereos vs cell phones. There will never be the perfect device, so find something that has faults you can live with and purchase it until you see something better.

Please read my post above about RDS info.

With the 140BH since you have the HD module built in you lose RDS info and the presets will only say CH1-CH6. This is how it is suppose to work acording to Pioneer, it's not a bug. So in Canada you lose functionality since HD Radio isn't really used (DAB is)

The external box is the traffic info. The HD radio is built into the HU on the Z140BH. If you don't want HD you need to buy a X940BT or a Z130BT.

They may actually need to buy a Z110 or Z120 as the Z130 handles RDS, etc the same as the Z140. There was no hardware change between the 2 only a software update.

In my car the Z110 upgraded to the Z130 software shows way more radio info than the Z130 or Z140 does in my truck. The Z110 upgraded to Z130 will actually show the song currently playing on the preset button. By this I mean that when I am listening to the radio my preset stations on the right side actually show what song is playing on each of the presets. I can't remember if the car has the HD Tuner or not as my Z110 and additional equipment were all purchased when this unit came out in 2009, but if I'm remembering right it does. Really the only difference I can think of is the car still has the MSN traffic tuner connected. Hmmmm I wonder if??

Plus I do not drive the car often, it took me 2 days of trying to make the Z130 in the truck show the song name on the presets before I realized that I was in the car when that happened. I will post a pic when I get a chance.

Better GUI....I guess

No RCA pre outputs

Smaller Screen

Low Quality Sound Output

Battery Life Concerns

No presets

No RDS

Cannot Play DVD's

There may be a way to add some of these features to a cell phone but by the time you do the extra equipment cost is close to or more than the radio, plus too many wires. Different products receive different attention depending on their markets. There are greater changes made to TV's year by year than to the Blu-Ray players, so you cannot compare the two. The same goes for car stereos vs cell phones. There will never be the perfect device, so find something that has faults you can live with and purchase it until you see something better.

A simple docking station would cure most of those concerns.

Better GUI....I guess

No RCA pre outputs

Smaller Screen

Low Quality Sound Output

Battery Life Concerns

No presets

No RDS

Cannot Play DVD's

While some of those reasons are valid, several are moot out of the box. You can play DVDs, for example. And why would you pay for XM if you have a data connection through a phone? Just playing devil's advocate.

While some of those reasons are valid, several are moot out of the box. You can play DVDs, for example. And why would you pay for XM if you have a data connection through a phone? Just playing devil's advocate.

LOL, devil's advocate, me too. But your phone cannot play DVD's.... And XM over a data connection is not free, also with XM I have always wondered how in this day of iTunes, MP3 players, USB drives, and burned CD's do they stay in business? But they have shows and some programming that people actually like, so I guess.