AVIC411.com

AppRadio Extensions 2.0 Beta - Full iPhone control

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is what was sent to me, so I contacted AT@T, I've been using Pandora a lot lately going out of town.

Dear JOSEPH SEWELL,

Like you, some of our customers use their smartphones as a broadband connection for other devices, like laptops, netbooks or other smartphones - a practice called mobile hotspot creation, or otherwise known as tethering. This can be an efficient way to enjoy the benefits of broadband but it does require that you have a specific data plan. 

1. Select a compatible data plan:

To review our plans that include the use of mobile hotspot, please log into your account at att.com/mywireless or use the MyAT&T app. Or, call us at 866.679.7134, Monday - Friday, 6 a.m. - midnight CT, or Saturday - Sunday, 8 a.m. - 9 p.m. CT.

Here are details on the plans available for mobile hotspot usage: 

spacer.gifDataPro 5GB for Smartphone

spacer.gif • $50 per month         spacer.gifspacer.gif • $10 per each additional GB thereafter, added automatically as needed spacer.gif • Mobile hotspot capability spacer.gif • Unlimited use of Wi-Fi at home or on-the-go with our nationwide network of Wi-Fi Hotspots. 
(Just look for the Wi-Fi icon on your enabled device.) spacer.gif
DataPro Enterprise 5GB for Smartphone
This Enterprise data plan is required to access corporate email, company intranet sites and/or other business applications. (Access to personal email is also supported.) 

spacer.gif • $65 per month spacer.gif • $10 per each additional GB thereafter, added automatically as needed spacer.gif • Mobile hotspot capability spacer.gif • Unlimited use of Wi-Fi at home or on-the-go with our nationwide network of Wi-Fi Hotspots. 
(Just look for the Wi-Fi icon on your enabled device.)   spacer.gif
AT&T Mobile Share Plans

spacer.gif • Unlimited talk and text for phones spacer.gif • Shared data for all your devices - smartphones, basic phones, tablets, laptops and mobile hotspots spacer.gif • Plans range from 300 MB to 50 GB and include mobile hotspot capability spacer.gif • Go to att.com/mobileshare to learn more spacer.gif
2. Keep your current plan in place: 

To keep your current plan you'll need to stop using mobile hotspot/tethering by the end of the month. Please remove any tethering apps and make sure anyone who uses your device understands your current plan doesn't include mobile hotspot creation.

If you continue tethering and we don't hear from you, we'll automatically enroll you in the DataPro 5GB Smartphone individual plan in an upcoming billing cycle.

Unlimited Plan Users - If your plan is automatically changed to accommodate mobile hotspot usage, you will not be able to move back to an unlimited plan since these plans are no longer offered.

Thank you for your attention to this matter. We appreciate the opportunity to continue to serve you.

Sincerely,

AT&T 
  spacer.gif

There is no data being sent to the unit and everything is executed on the device only. What they are referring to is excessive dat usage which they are saying is a violation of their agreement with the use of apps like Pandora and Youtube. AT&T can claim this all they won't but they are wrong. They tried to make a big issue of this over a year ago and got slammed with a class action. They started trotting peoples data to the point to where it was unusable but they have sense stopped doing that from what I understand. I have went well over the ghost limit on my unlimited plane several times over the last year and I haven't received any warnings or have been trotted that I am aware of. The best thing to do is not to bring the situation up to them and you should be fine.

I was throttled last month when I went over 3GB. I looked up on the internet and sending data out of the phone like pandora does is considered tethering. I'm in California.  Throttling sucks it took forever to send picture messages and web browsing was very slow.  Playing Pandora on the AppRadio is just like connecting external speakers to the phone, they claim otherwise.

But how can they tell what is being sent out of the phone?

Using Pandora is not considered teething to another device and they can claim that all day long but it won't fly. They will never be able to convert your account to a tethering plan because of an app on the phone. They can if you connect the phone to another device and send data to that device as a tether. The App Radio does not apply in this case. The reason you got throttled is because you went over that fantom 3gb. Going over a limit and tethering are two different things. 

Using Pandora is not considered teething to another device and they can claim that all day long but it won't fly. They will never be able to convert your account to a tethering plan because of an app on the phone. They can if you connect the phone to another device and send data to that device as a tether. The App Radio does not apply in this case. The reason you got throttled is because you went over that fantom 3gb. Going over a limit and tethering are two different things. 

I know that I was throttle last month due to going over 3Gigs. This month I am only at 900MB but it has all been form Pandora on the AppRadio. Yesterday I received the email about tethering and a text about it today.

This is all form Pandora

04/22/2014 06:40PM

--

Internet/mobile data 11590.0 KBs 0.00 04/22/2014 11:07AM

--

Internet/mobile data 31744.0 KBs 0.00 04/21/2014 08:06PM

--

Internet/mobile data 20264.0 KBs 0.00 04/21/2014 11:06AM

--

Internet/mobile data 2851.0 KBs 0.00 04/21/2014 09:37AM

--

Internet/mobile data 31426.0 KBs 0.00 04/20/2014 10:58PM

--

Internet/mobile data 19544.0 KBs 0.00 04/20/2014 07:58PM

--

Internet/mobile data

9365.0 KBs

I would chill for a while and then try it again. I went over 20gbs in March and never got a warning or a throttle that I am aware of, and I was tethering. I got throttled once soon after they announced they would begin throttling but it only happened that once.

I would chill for a while and then try it again. I went over 20gbs in March and never got a warning or a throttle that I am aware of, and I was tethering. I got throttled once soon after they announced they would begin throttling but it only happened that once.

Yeah that's what I'm planing on doing, sucks. 

That's what I tried to say. They claim that any data being sent out of the phone is tethering.

Thats ridiculous, its like saying using a bluetooth headset is tethering because its sending data from the phone to an external device!

@tom

Looking at that screen grab it appears the person in AT&T just doesn't understand what the app radio is doing, they don't seem to understand that the screen on your iPhone is just being mirrored, no data is involved.

I agree, I also called them today and the person on the phone form AT@T claimed the something. I hit him with "if I plug my iPhone into my iHome a play Pandora, what is the difference?" He had no answer. I also brought up iOS in the car and tethering, again no answer. I'm not being charged yet but he said if I continue then I will be.  This is all form the use of Pandora for about a period of 45 days. I've been traveling once or twice a week about 45 min each direction and and twice this month to SLO, Ca (about 2.5 hours each direction.) Pandora the whole way on all trips. This caused AT@T to flip out.  I've had my iPhones jailbroken since the 3GS model. I did start using the iPhone since the original. I used to do accounting for apartment complexes and the WIFI at a few of the places were crappy, so I've tethered my phone to my laptop in the past. I was logging into no mobile websites and sending a lot of packets out of the phone then. Also sending large files to the corporate office. I've never had an issue with tethering. Pandora has increased my data usage quit a bit. I always try to use WiFi (it's faster in Fresno, Ca.)  But for the last 45 days or so I've increased my usage of Pandora, only with the AppRadio. If anybody knows of any documentation on how the AppRadio works, it would be real helpful. This month I've only used 900MB but 90% is form Pandora and AppRadio. That is not that much last month I used almost 4Gigs (Steaming movies form my home server.)

I know this is off topic, but I figure if they are bitching at me for not that much use of Pandora and AppRadio then everyone here should be informed what AT@T thinks is tethering. (Also on iOS6 and AppEx, I used to do Youtube video way more then I ever done with Pandora.) AT@T blows!!!!!

This is off topic and we need to move on, create another thread if necessary. I will end with this: the use of apps on the phone that use data is not tethering by AT&Ts definition. By their definition, the use of the phone as a modem to connect to another device to send data to that device is considered tethering. AT&T being able to prove you connected your phone to a computer to send data as an internet device would constitute a violation of their policy and your contract. I the case with the App Radio, no data is sent to the head unit. Your AR is not connecting to the internet. The AR is merely a remote control to the phone. All your doing is touching an icon on the screen of the head unit that sends a command to the phone to do something in an app. The only signal that goes to the head unit is the audio signal from the phone. Everything is still executed on the phone. Now the problem with the monkeys on the phone at AT&T is that they don't know their ass from their head. They don't understand how things work with the unit. All they hear is the phone is connected to the head unit and immediately alarms start going off because that is how they have been trained. Stop calling them and talking to them about this and they won't flag your account. You are being penalized because you are using too much data and that they can give you a hard time about. Now, let's move on and get back on topic.

• 2 weeks later...